Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

permanent hair straightening

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have any of you had your hair permanently straightened?

If so, did you feel it damaged your hair a lot? I understand it must somewhat damage the hair.
Did your hair become more managable?
Did it last?
Were you able to throw out your hair straighteners and did it air dry straight without the use of a hairdryer?

Comments

• Options
    try doing a search, been done a few times before. :)
  • Options
    Ah, I see.

Noone with personal experience of the yuko treatment tho? That's the one I am interested in.

I'm pretty much wanting it done to get out of the vicious circle I'm in -- straightening the hair because i fucked it up so much with dye/ bleach a long time ago and now because it's always been straightened so most is fuzzy because of that (no dye in hair anymore!).

My hair, before i messed it up, was pretty much completely straight. I'd love to be able to "wash (and condition!) and go" once again.

I'm having my hair chopped this saturday so I'm going to talk it over with my hairdresser. I'm just scared that she'll say YES IT'S A GREAT IDEA because they'll get in more money. I doubt she will, as it's a reputable salon, but you never know. Would love to hear of others experiences.
  • Options
    If I could afford to do it and maintain it- I would go for it. The worst that can happen is that it will look rubbish, chop it off and start again, the elffin look is cute anyways...
  • Options
    if u want to end up with hair then dont do it.

u have already bleached it, dyed it, and straighten it regularly. Hair can only take so much abuse! leave the poor strands alone!
  • Options
    Ending up with no hair is one thing I definately do not want which is why I'm talking it over with my hairdresser. I am getting a consoltation before I get my hair chopped this Saturday.

There is NO bleach or dye in my hair, they have been grown out completely. I have no chemical treatments in my hair. It's just a bit fuzzed due to over straightening, straightening which I started initially due to the mess i made!

My hair doesn't feel or look that damaged so I'm hoping I'll be able to go ahead with the treatment and save my re-growth from the straighteners.
  • Options
    I have straightened my hair for about a year now and use GHD's. I normally use protective spray nowadays unless im in a rush. (I adore my hair it is very long down to my bum and dark brown). I straighten it not because my hair is curly/wavy (i wouldnt mind it being curly or wavy) but because it is ultra-frizzy. Ive tried everything i can on it to try and get it to calm down including frizz-ease, redken, and all the common makes' frizz serum and it doesnt work - not even a little bit!! So do you think this permanent straightening thing would work for my purposes too? My hair doesnt have any dye or bleach on it but has been straightened. If i was you, Madraykin, anyone out there who doesnt need to straighten their hair count yourself lucky that you can just "wash and go" - because a lot people i know dont realise how lucky they are.
  • Options
    jenni30 - have you thought about having it chemically 'relaxed' or similar?
  • Options
    One of my sisters friends had it done and although I dont think it damaged her hair, I dont think it worked very well, although that might have been because her hair is thick afro style. Why not get a perm (not a frizz bob one) instead?
  • Options
    SO I've just had my consoltation and the two girls who assessed my hair didn't see any reason why the yuko treatment shouldn't give me great results. I'm booked in for next Thursday!

It's going to cost £250 for my shoulder length hair to be tamed, and around 5-6hours of my time.

SO far the cons are not being able to wash it for 48-72 hours afterwards so I'm going to have to stay in all weekend as it's bound to rain at somepoint. I can't tie it back, put it behind my ears or wear any hats during the 2-3day period either. I think I'm going to have to stock up on some dvds and books!
  • Options
    how long does it last 4 that price? personally, i'd rather just keep straightening than pay £250
  • Options
    madraykin wrote:
    SO I've just had my consoltation and the two girls who assessed my hair didn't see any reason why the yuko treatment shouldn't give me great results. I'm booked in for next Thursday!

It's going to cost £250 for my shoulder length hair to be tamed, and around 5-6hours of my time.

SO far the cons are not being able to wash it for 48-72 hours afterwards so I'm going to have to stay in all weekend as it's bound to rain at somepoint. I can't tie it back, put it behind my ears or wear any hats during the 2-3day period either. I think I'm going to have to stock up on some dvds and books!
    oooh could you do before and after photos? (if you don't want to show your face you could just take pics of the hair).
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    jenni30 - have you thought about having it chemically 'relaxed' or similar?

Yes it has been suggested to me actually......I havent looked into it any further so dont know anything about it - does anyone know about it?

I might go down to my salon and have a consultation about that actually.

Thanks
  • Options
    Mia16 wrote:
    how long does it last 4 that price? personally, i'd rather just keep straightening than pay £250
    The hair that is straightened *should* stay straight, and hopefully de-fuzzed, forever.

To get my hair sitting properly it generally takes me up to 45minutes with the hair dryer then another 10 with my irons. That's just too much time for me in the morning! My reasons for having it done are also to save my regrowth from the straighteners (my regrowth shouldn't be fuzzy as it'll be virgin hair). For me this is a "shave it all off and start again" thing -- just a very pricey one!

Sure I'll take before and afters lipsy.
  • Options
    Mia16 wrote:
    It lasts as long as you want - It grows out with your hair (like any permanent hair treatment) - so in 6 months time, you'll have frizzy roots and straight ends. :yuck:

Ilora x