Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

VGA vs DVI for TFT Screen

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm toying with the idea of buying either 17 inch or 19 inch TFT Screen to replace a 19 inch CRT which is now quite old and out of focus.

What I want to know is has anyone got a TFT screen with both a VGA and DVI socket and tried both and if so can you actually see a difference, espacially in windos and with regards to clarity of black on white text, like you'd see when using a word processor?

Also can you switch bteween the two sockets, i.e. connect them to two different PC's at once. If so what make and model do you have and have you got any dead pixels.

Comments

• Options
    Mine has two different ones. The DVI is slightly more vivid if I remember rightly. Of course when I changed input I also changed graphics card, so it could have been because of the card.

You can connect two different inputs to mine and switch between them.

If I were to get one now, I wouldn't get a display without a DVI input, if only because a lot of higher-end graphics cards now are DVI only.

For info, mine is the LG 1710B, though I don't think they are made any more.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    If I were to get one now, I wouldn't get a display without a DVI input, if only because a lot of higher-end graphics cards now are DVI only.
    True, but then you can get adapters where necessary.
  • Options
    I have two screens which I was going to connect up together, but my pc's card isn't dual DVI, so I had to have one on VGA. I can certainly tell a difference in performance when they're next to eachother, plus the monitor doesn't automatically scale the picture to fit the monitor when I use VGA.

I have two Iiyama prolite e431s's which have dual VGA/DVI input, I can connect a machine to DVI and a machine to VGA and use the auto button to toggle between the machines, bit like a KVM. (only without the K and the M) No dead pixels here, I always buy Iiyama though
  • Options
    I have the same monitor as mist (and it rules) which also has both inputs on.

If your using VGA with a monitor like that as I understand your going though a DAC and then an ADC.

If you use DVI then you don't run it through either.

However I am not convinced there is much difference.
  • Options
    VGA is o.k. for the optimal resolution (usually 1280x1024). As soon as you want to use other resolutions, you'll find that DVI gives you a vast improvement.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote:
    VGA is o.k. for the optimal resolution (usually 1280x1024). As soon as you want to use other resolutions, you'll find that DVI gives you a vast improvement.

Do you mean lower or higher?

Are LCD Screens any good at displaying screens at anything other then their optimum resolution?

I've seen on laptops of the laptop has a maximum of 1024 by 768 and you want 800 by 600 it can scale but it all becomes chunky until a CRT Screen.

I hope someone someday figures out how to make a CRT screen as thin as an LCD monitor cos I still think they give the best picture - just that at sizes of 19 inches you're looking at huge weight and loads of desktop space.
  • Options
    Diamond Geezer,

You can't go above the optimal rez.

Bascially, as you said, anything other than optical will look "chunky", but with DVI, DVI will iron that out. VGA doesn't
  • Options
    I was reading a review on the Iiyama website and event he reviewer said their own displays looks crap until you plug them into the DVI socket then the colours come alive.
  • Options
    I was reading a review on the Iiyama website and event he reviewer said their own displays looks crap until you plug them into the DVI socket then the colours come alive.

Makes sense. Why convert the signal twice when you can avoid converting at all?