Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Car Crashes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just over a month ago I was involved in a horrible car crash with my sister who had only just passed her test 2 days before. It wasn't all her fault, it was a foggy day and she didn't see a car going past (we were at a junction). Ever since then I've been really scared in cars, and it's really been getting to me. My sister was put on anti-depressants because she was afraid of driving. I can never stop thinking about it when I'm in a car and what could happen and how we could get hurt.

Anyway, today my sister was taking me out, her friend in the car also, and we were waiting to turn into a junction. We'd been there for around 20 seconds when we all heard loud screeching behind us, and then a huge bang and our car julted forward. I was in the back and I hurt myself a bit more than my sister and her friend since the other car hit us on the back bumper. All I could do was scream "not again" and curse, and I just looked like a complete idiot over some small crash. I'm still shaking and I have a huge headache and it's been about 3 hours. I feel like a stupid baby.

So what I wanted to know is, have any of you had a car crash, and how did you sort of get over it? Was there anything to help you relax? I just feel so scared of being in cars again, and I don't want to upset my sister as it would seem like I don't trust her in a car when I do!

Comments

• Options
    you've just got to keep getting in them. keep going. and your head will sort itself out ~ thats the only way to get over it really. you can always try sometihing to help you to relax - i guess just anything that would help you to relax generally. the other thing would be to go out with another driver!
  • Options
    I've been in three big ones. The first was the worst. I had my license for less than 2 months. My sister and her friend were in the back, not wearing seat belts. My sister flew to the front and hit her head on the windshiled. All I saw was blood. I ran to the middle of the street screaming. I just jumped in front of the first car I saw and told them to call an ambulance. Then I ran infront of the next car I saw and told them to call the police. I ran into a fire hydrant so nobody else could have gotten hurt. It was so scary and while my sister was being taken away and the cops were around I sat clutching my purse to my chest rocking back and forth under a tree. I cried for hours straight.

The next two weren't that bad. I have a tiny car so nobody got hurt. I nearly totalled my car but the guy I hit only had a cracked license plate. The worst part of it was I was drunk and scared.

I guess it gets easier each time :p
    But as everybody told me every time, accidents happen. Cars can be fixed. Think of the positives. Accidents do happen.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've been in three big ones. The first was the worst. I had my license for less than 2 months. My sister and her friend were in the back, not wearing seat belts. My sister flew to the front and hit her head on the windshiled. All I saw was blood. I ran to the middle of the street screaming. I just jumped in front of the first car I saw and told them to call an ambulance. Then I ran infront of the next car I saw and told them to call the police. I ran into a fire hydrant so nobody else could have gotten hurt. It was so scary and while my sister was being taken away and the cops were around I sat clutching my purse to my chest rocking back and forth under a tree. I cried for hours straight.

You poor thing!! I hope everyone was okay, luckily my sister only had a huge gash on the back of her head, and I had loads of bruising from the seatbelts.. and also all the buttons on my shirt (we were on our way to school) had blown off from the impact so I was just stood there in just a wonderbra and my trousers (I lost my shoes too). We were lucky that our car didn't flip or anything - she had a daewoo matiz which is so so light - but it did go in the air apparently, but I only found that out from a witness as I had fainted by then!
    Car.jpg (The car)
    I know it's not as bad as, say, My_Name's, so that's why I feel like such a baby :( And my best friend found out her gran has cancer today, and she said I shouldn't be so selfish as she was going through worse :(
  • Options
    Oh hunny, your not a baby. Crashes are scary. I'm glad everyone is alright. There is nothing wrong with being scared at an accident. That does look quite bad too!! A side hit, I've never had one of those, I would be just as scared as you. Don't be ashamed at all.
  • Options
    Last March I crashed my car in a big way running off the road and flipping it over 5 times in the countryside, at 10:30PM in the dark. Thought that was it in the seconds we were rolling, but luckily myself and two friends walked away with nothing but scratched and whiplash. The car.... written off!!!

I got over it quickly and havn't had a problem driving or being in the passenger seat, but one of my friends was abit edgy about it, and understandably so!

Maybe consider counselling?
  • Options
    Thank you :) Hopefully I'll get over it soon! I love her so much, as soon as we got out the car (well stumbled with me anyway, I was winded lol) she gave me a huge hug in the rain. So I just want to show her that I do trust her :)
  • Options
    Nash wrote:

Maybe consider counselling?

I have a therapist anyway as I tried to take an overdose last May, but I barely see her, I should be seeing her in a couple of months!
  • Options
    im terrified im gonna be in a crash one day and ive never even been in one! my grandparents live in the countryside and to get there you have to go along this narrow windy road so you can never see whats coming and the only thing between you and a steep drop into a feild is a thin hege, we've had no end of near misses when people have come zooming round the corners
    so im so nervous when i go along there, i just get visions of us going through the hedge and rolling down into the field....not nice.
    but understandably you'll be scared, it's best off to keep facing your fears
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    im terrified im gonna be in a crash one day and ive never even been in one! my grandparents live in the countryside and to get there you have to go along this narrow windy road so you can never see whats coming and the only thing between you and a steep drop into a feild is a thin hege, we've had no end of near misses when people have come zooming round the corners
    so im so nervous when i go along there, i just get visions of us going through the hedge and rolling down into the field....not nice.
    but understandably you'll be scared, it's best off to keep facing your fears

Same here, in my village there are loads of windy roads and lots of joy riders go around there at night, so since the car crash my nerves have obviously been enhanced while I'm around that area in the evening!