Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Static

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Its not really health, and its not really fasion, but its kind of both too. SO anyways, tell me to move it to the correct location or give me advice.

So my work is very dry. I shock everythying, as does everybody else. They hurt. I go home and I continue to be shocking.

My winter coat seems to also give me static. I wear it and I'm like a socket.

It was all fun and games until last night. I went to turn on the light only to be shocked so bad my hand shook.
Then a little while later I gave the man a kiss. Shocked. I actually saw a spark. Now I know we're good together, but nobody is that good.

So does anybody have any tips/products that can help me?
And the house *is* already humid enough.

Comments

• Options
    wear rubber :lol: :flirt: :p
  • Options
    There's not a lot you can do yourself. The company needs to get its floor treated, there's products that can be used to do it.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    There's not a lot you can do yourself. The company needs to get its floor treated, there's products that can be used to do it.

But why does it happen at home still? And is there anything I can do for my jacket? I wasn't at work yesterday and I was still shocking. I just like calling myself shocking
  • Options
    It happens to me when i touch a shelf when out shopping :shocking:
  • Options
    im trying to remember how to dispurse the static electricty, i think you earth yourself and it'll go.. i think.. i cant remember back to science..
  • Options
    Sit down on a chair next to a radiator. Take your feet off the floor, hold the radiator, put your feet down and stand up. Problem solved :).
  • Options
    I get electric shocks wherever I go and whatever I'm wearing and often end up kissing my boyfriend only to give him a shock too! They aren't normally too bad but the other day I was shopping in H&M and as I got onto the escalator I got a massive shock. I don't understand it as i was wearing rubber soled boots and it was the rubber handrail on the escalator that I touched. It made my arm hurt a little, gave me a headache and really hurt my chest. I joked at the time about it being a defribulator but my chest did hurt for an hour or so after the shock. I then found out that my debit card didnt work and the bank reckon the shock has done something to the magnetic strip or something. Should I tell H&M, is there anythign they can do? No one else seemed to have a problem and my mum was fine when she got on the escalator.
  • Options
    Sit down on a chair next to a radiator. Take your feet off the floor, hold the radiator, put your feet down and stand up. Problem solved :).

Whats a radiator?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Whats a radiator?
    :shocking: :confused:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Whats a radiator?

Large metal water container, used in central heating. Generally have one or two mounted on a wall in each room of the house, hot water is pumped around the system, filling each radiator and putting heat out into the room.

Don't know what you'd call them over the pond...

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=radiator&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

Don't have to specifically touch a radiator, just anything with a decent ground :).
  • Options
    Oh those. I havn't seen one of those since I visited my 80 yr old grandma. I don't know how the whole heating system works in all the houses I lived in, but not like that. Heat and ac comes from the vents in the floor :p But you can adjust the humidity, and at my house its already at a normal decent level.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Oh those. I havn't seen one of those since I visited my 80 yr old grandma. I don't know how the whole heating system works in all the houses I lived in, but not like that. Heat and ac comes from the vents in the floor :p But you can adjust the humidity, and at my house its already at a normal decent level.
    You didn't know what a radiator was? Haha I'll tease you on msn for that:p
  • Options
    Silverberg wrote:
    You didn't know what a radiator was? Haha I'll tease you on msn for that:p

Come on, no house built in the last, what like 30 years has those things how was I supposed to know?
  • Options
    What do they have instead?
  • Options
    Silverberg wrote:
    What do they have instead?

I asked to have the heating explained so...

Um natural gas is burned which is hot and a blower pushes it through the vents.

Does everyplace there have the radiator things? Come on, vents in the floor where air comes from, thermostats on the wall with fun buttons. You must knwo what I speak of.
  • Options
    fuckin americans!

i cant believe you didnt know what a radiator was!
  • Options
    no radiators in the us? how odd....
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    no radiators in the us? how odd....

There are, but only in bulidings that havn't been updated in 30 years.
  • Options
    take your shoes off and the static will disperse. its held in by the rubber soles, as the charge cant travel through rubber. touching an earthed metal thing should do the trick too. Do you have earth wires in America? I know over here for example, a computer case is connected to the mains supply, so any current in the case goes straight down the hole to the floor. All static charge wants to do is get to the floor.

Its built up by rubbing, the best materials are chain molecules (think things that start with poly), so polyester, polythene, polywhatever, anything like that close to you will rub and cause a charge to build up.
  • Options
    Most houses here have central heating and modern systems here use radiators. Infact, here air vents in the floor are seen as outdated! But it is generally warmer in the US and radiators do produce more heat.

I get shocked all the fucking time at work. Off of the screen, the receipt machine and the choice points update machine especialy. I work in Home and Lighting so electricity doesn't help either!