Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Chicken pox

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know anything other than calomine that will help?
Its for a 22 month old. :(

Comments

• Options
    There is a drug called Aciclovir, but apparently it's only for people 2+, so your little un would be just under the threshold for that.

This might give you some pointers though:

Medline webpage
  • Options
    Piriton might ease the itching a bit, and of course paracetamol will help with any fever.
  • Options
    manickev wrote:
    There is a drug called Aciclovir, but apparently it's only for people 2+, so your little un would be just under the threshold for that.

This might give you some pointers though:

Medline webpage

Aciclovir is an anti-herpes antibiotic (sort of)...it is available prescription only and you would be hard pressed to find a GP to prescribe it as chicken pox is something the body can easily fight itself...and should do to improve children's immune systems.

Afraid there is not much you can give...but :yes: to bongbudda's advice... :thumb:

Unfortunately it is very hard to stop a 22 month old scratching!
  • Options
    Ugh chicken pox, I had them when I was 17, not nice!
  • Options
    A pair of mittings or socks on his hands might stop him scratching.
  • Options
    Thanks he would just take them off though. i just been trying as best i can.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Tweety wrote:
    Thanks he would just take them off though. i just been trying as best i can.

How is he now? Is he getting better?

<3
  • Options
    Aww, just seen this. Bless his little heart.

No, you can't really stop them, I had chicken pox when I was 5 and I just used to go upstairs and scratch so my mum couldn't see me. I had a couple of pock marks from it but they weren't that noticeable. Just make sure his nails are as short as poss!

Hope he's feeling better soon.
  • Options
    tell him when he's itchy to pat his spots instead of scratching. sounds ridiculous, but a few gentle slaps have the same effect as a good scratch but won't do the same kind of damage to his skin.

spent a good few hours chanting 'PAT DON'T SCRATCH' to my wee nephew when he had the dreaded pox. it seemed to work, and he only has a couple of scars now (including one slap bang in the middle of his forehead..hmmm).
  • Options
    How is he now? Is he getting better?

<3

Hes getting lots more spots the poor boy.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    make sure his nails are as short as poss!

Yeh gonna cut them again shortly. :)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    tell him when he's itchy to pat his spots instead of scratching. sounds ridiculous, but a few gentle slaps have the same effect as a good scratch but won't do the same kind of damage to his skin.

spent a good few hours chanting 'PAT DON'T SCRATCH' to my wee nephew when he had the dreaded pox. it seemed to work, and he only has a couple of scars now (including one slap bang in the middle of his forehead..hmmm).

Will give it a go but not sure how much hes gonna listen. Still hopefully tommorow hes gonna be distracted enough to not notice as much. :D