Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Grammar check

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a moron and Word doesn't grammar check as well as I want. Since I wont get a reply from my dad soon enough and I dont like looking like an idiot, will somebody grammar check this for me? Its just a one sentence memo. I use too many comma's I'm pretty sure of that already. Thanks.

As of today, December 20th, 2005, all cycle fill homes will have a one (1) billing lead day.

Comments

• Options
    id say thats pretty much right, although i wouldnt put a commer after december 20th! but i dunno if thats an american thing cos id put 20th december!
  • Options
    Too many comma's, don't really need one after 20th, as dizzy said. It might help if I knew what that memo meant...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It should be "An one bill", I think. 'O' is a vowel.
  • Options
    I was always taught put a comma after the date and the year (cuz we write it with the month first) I thought maybe the comma after 2005 was wrong, but thats right? Thank you guys. Cheers :D
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:

I dont think that it does in this instance as what she is talking about isnt an object of sorts, try saying the sentance, i dont think it needs an n!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I was always taught put a comma after the date and the year (cuz we write it with the month first) I thought maybe the comma after 2005 was wrong, but thats right? Thank you guys. Cheers :D

yeah, the comma after the year is right, you dont need the other!
  • Options
    I dont think that it does in this instance as what she is talking about isnt an object of sorts, try saying the sentance, i dont think it needs an n!
    I still think the same, it doesn't sound right to me. But it's your language, I guess you know better.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:

The rule doesn't apply in this case as "one" is a consonant sound (i.e. it sounds as though it would be "won" so therefore starting with a consonant). I think.

As of today, December 20th 2005, all cycle fill homes will have a one (1) billing lead day.

Is what I'd put :)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    it sounds as though it would be "won"
    That's how it's pronounced? Wow, I've been saying it wrong for 12 years now then. :blush:

In that case, yes you're right about the n.
  • Options
    I remember getting an email of this about some tracks and every other work he used quotations. It was like...
  • Options
    I love pointless posts. Sorry, someobody actually walked past my desk sooner than I thought so I had them do it also. I totally forgot you and I write dates different! Thanks for your help though all!
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    That's how it's pronounced? Wow, I've been saying it wrong for 12 years now then. :blush:

In that case, yes you're right about the n.

I've gotta ask, how did you pronounce it?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Hm I don't know how to write it... Something like oo-a-n (like the true way, but without the consonant sound at the beginning).
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Hm I don't know how to write it... Something like oo-a-n (like the true way, but without the consonant sound at the beginning).

so oo like moo, then an after it? fun.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

auwn? :p

au as in auwch I think.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    so oo like moo, then an after it? fun.
    Yes, but I think the "oo" is what you'd call a short oo (I never understood the difference between "short" and "long" vowels). What do you mean by "fun"?
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    auwn? :p

au as in auwch I think.

Now i have no idea what that one is supopsed to be :p

I've also never understood the turning the "th" into a "f" sound, unless your missing most of your teeth. I notice alot of that on here.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I would've said that you need both commas as you have put the date in parethesis.

I also think "a one" is more acceptable than "an one". The latter just doesn't sound quite right.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Now i have no idea what that one is supopsed to be :p

I've also never understood the turning the "th" into a "f" sound, unless your missing most of your teeth. I notice alot of that on here.
    Yeah, same with me. I hope I'm not pronouncing that wrong too.
  • Options
    I ate a big, red candle.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I ate a big, red candle.
    Your daughter is standing in front of my books, talking to our teacher and eating chips.
    :confused:
  • Options
    It's a quote from the excellent movie "Anchorman" Just underscoring the pointlessness of this thread.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Just underscoring the pointlessness of this thread.

You did a good job - I was surprised when I read your post.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    The rule doesn't apply in this case as "one" is a consonant sound (i.e. it sounds as though it would be "won" so therefore starting with a consonant). I think.

Correct, 'W' is a voiceless labial-velar fricative. It's under 'other symbols' on the IPA chart because it has 2 places of articulation, whereas the chart can only account for sounds with on place of articulation. [/phonetics student]
  • Options
    Correct, 'W' is a voiceless labial-velar fricative. It's under 'other symbols' on the IPA chart because it has 2 places of articulation, whereas the chart can only account for sounds with on place of articulation. [/phonetics student]

Eek, you scare me with your technical terms, smarty pants!! ;)