Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Car Insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:grump:

So, finished all the festivities associated with passing (Getting pissed repeatedly) and now i'm trying to sort out my insurance. Now, as an 18 year old male with no no claims etc, this isn't going to be a cheap affair. As first driver, i keep getting quotes of like £99999. So, is it going to be easier for me to take out a new insurance policy in my mums name, then insure myself on that as second driver? Is there a limit to how many policies my mum can have? And if i do this and (God forbid) have an accident, will my mum lose her 20 odd years of no claims? assuming that i don't put that she has any of her no claims on the other policy, meaning that i haven't transferred any of them over.

This is so confusing :( Any help well appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I'm in exactly the same situation:( tis shit.

I'm on my mums insurance, but I'm not going to get any no claims! I think I'll have to go on my own insurance soon to try and bring down the cost of my insurance through no claims.

You looked into pass plus? I've not really looked but apparently it is worth 1 years no claims to some insurers.
  • Options
    I'm doing pass plus on the 27/28th. Still sky high though :/
  • Options
    You have to bite the bullet eventually. Putting yourself on your mum's insurance won't get you any accumulated no claims, and, at worst, could result in any claim you make being invalidated.

If you can't afford it, get a shittier car :)
  • Options
    If your Mum has more than 4/5 years NCD, she ought to have it protected regardless. That way, if she has an accident her NCD won't go back to zero. Depends on the Insurer, but general rule is she won't lose the NCD providing she has no more than two accidents in three years, or something like that.

But anyway, if you can possibly afford it, it really is best to get your own policy and start building your own NCD straight away.

I got my own Policy with Tesco last March which wasn't too bad (admittedly, I am female and 21). Where have you got quotes from so far?
  • Options
    Corsa 1.2 SXI ;(

£4400 isn't something i'm going to be affording anytime soon :p
  • Options
    for my basic ford ka but with alloys, being a 17 year old girl living in london parking off street, to have my car in my name with my mum as the second driver was £1440 on elephant and was pretty much the cheapest i've seen - but yes you get like £200 off if you do pass plus
  • Options
    be cheaper for your mum or someone sim ...to own the car ...insure it for any driver.
    especialy if you can get someone to insure the thing as a commercial vehicle.
  • Options
    Like it has already been said, you won't get getting any no claims if you go on someone elses policy so its not really gonna get any cheaper.
    3Rd party f&T will bring it down though.
  • Options
    I don't mind not building up any no claims for a couple of years, until i'm old enough to get a cheaper policy. Its either that, or pay about twice what the car is worth every year in insurance.
  • Options
    i was on my stepdads insurance for the first year and a bit or driving and have been the policy holder for about 8 months now. i was paying £55 a month (3rd party) to insure me and then my stepdad as a named driver but i got my renewal quote in and it's now £32 a month! i'd say it's best to go under your mum's insurance or something, incase you have a crash. :p
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    I don't mind not building up any no claims for a couple of years, until i'm old enough to get a cheaper policy. Its either that, or pay about twice what the car is worth every year in insurance.

Yeh but its the no claims that give you the big discount not the age.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

Indeed.
  • Options
    You'd seriously pay £7000 + £120 tax, MOT and Petrol just to get a car, get it insured for a year, for a year's no claims? I don't have that kind of money at the moment, i think i'll wait till i'm in full time employment rather than a scroungy student on £50 a week :p
  • Options
    steal a car, then you dont have to pay for it or insure it

go back to your roots doofay ;)
  • Options
    My roots lie in Yorkshire. If you want to continue with this argument, kindly do so with your comrade JsT :p

And i don't see you driving :p
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    My roots lie in Yorkshire. If you want to continue with this argument, kindly do so with your comrade JsT :p

And i don't see you driving :p

i also dont see you earning as much as i do
  • Options
    £800pm
  • Options
    my first policy was £990 on a 1.2 fairly new car, im now on a 1.4 car with 2 years NCB and its about £400 something quid, its the no claims that do it.
  • Options
    im 21, 4 years no claims, on a imported honda prelude, 2.2 engine, i pay about 600 FC,
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    You'd seriously pay £7000 + £120 tax, MOT and Petrol just to get a car, get it insured for a year, for a year's no claims? I don't have that kind of money at the moment, i think i'll wait till i'm in full time employment rather than a scroungy student on £50 a week :p

No i would have checked out the insurnace before getting the car and got a cheaper one.
  • Options
    I'm 21 and I'll have my first year's no-claims in may! I'm paying something of the order of 550 quid a year fully comp... But:

a) I'm 21
    b) my car's a 1.1
    c) my car's a 1989 F Reg fiesta worth £90

teehee.
  • Options
    I've got a 1.1 Peugeot 206 LX 3 dr, and I pay £800 odd insurance a year. Which isn't bad considering im 19, have no NCD, and my car is about 4 years old. Im with Endsleigh, which is aimed at students.
    Another good reasonably cheap insurer is Admiral :)
  • Options
    Anyone under the age of 25 who gets one of those little bottle rocket cars (corsa's etc) is bonkers, you pay a silly amount to insure it, you might as well just pay for a cab every time you want to go out, it would be cheaper.

Get a shit car with a tiny engine, at least for the first year.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:

Yeah but they also look at the number of years you've had a driver's Licence

Can't you guys get a discount if you do an advanced driver's course?

Passing your driving test doesn't really teach you how to drive, it teaches you how to make a car move .. it doesn't teach you what to do if you hit back ice, to watch out for stupid school kids running into the road, or even as I saw once two boys playing chicken with on coming traffic, to watch out for people that just open their cars doors which looking to see if a car is approaching .. etc, etc .. that's all going to come from experience and making mistakes is the best way to learn... unfortunately mistakes when driving cost money which is why it's justs so expensive in the first year.

if you want the cheapest possible insurance long term, it's to get the cheapest cars to insure and stick it in the garage and don't drive it for a year .. that way you can't lose your first year's no claims .. my cousin did this with an old mini and built up several years of no claims bonuses, he didn't need a car at the time because he used public transport, but was a good way to save money inthe long run when he did want a flash car.
  • Options
    Insurance are dickheads.

Also there's the fact that technically you're still a provisional driver until you've held your licence for two years so that's another reason it's higher.

I was looking on ebay and you can get a BMW Z3 for £8k but insurance for me, despite being 21, having held me licence for 3 years and never having had an accident in my life, was still £1300. Not really worth it until 2007 when I have a high-powered job in the city.
  • Options
    I'd recommend taking a look at elephant.co.uk. I just passed my test two weeks ago and I'm paying £490 for 10 months 3rd party insurance in my name. I'm a 19 year old female and I'm driving an M regi Nissan Micra but that was the best quote I got and believe me I tried a lot of places! Like everyone else has said it does depend on the engine size etc but shop around and you should get a "reasonable" deal somewhere.

Good luck and happy driving.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    noog wrote:
    c) my car's a 1989 F Reg fiesta worth £90

You got a roadworthy motor for £90?

Rockin!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You got a roadworthy motor for £90?

Rockin!

My friend has a J reg Micra that cost her 80 quid, and another friend has a K reg Fiesta that cost her £100, as long as you don't mind driving around in a tin can it's barganious :p
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    My friend has a J reg Micra that cost her 80 quid, and another friend has a K reg Fiesta that cost her £100, as long as you don't mind driving around in a tin can it's barganious :p

I had a K reg Fiesta that I paid £50 for!! It was a non runner apparently. Check out the trade it spares or repairs section and take a mechanic with you. It took 5 mins to get the car running again and I drove it the 40 miles home no problem.I drove that fiesta around for almost a year until my parents gave me their old car. I sold it on Ebay for £450 LOL

My insurance is £400 for a 10 month policy thing TPFT with Elephant. So far so good. I'm 26 and have no NCB. I have a 1.7 L Reg Astra diesel.