Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

chap stick

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In the winter I always get extremly chapped lips. I've only used a few products and I find that Carmex works the best. However, my mother saw I was using it and says that petrolium in it is bad. It should not be put on your lips as it gets injested quicker. One of her all natural health nut doctors recomended this stuff called Burts Bees Wax. In it contains beeswax, coconut oil, sunflower oil, pepermint oil, and a couple other things. Its all natural and they say its better for you. So far its been working just as well and the taste, smell and feel is so much better than carmex.

So, (I know you may not know the brand names of these) but what are you opinions/facts/whatever on petrolium on your lips and the all natural way?

Comments

• Options
    my_name wrote:
    In the winter I always get extremly chapped lips. I've only used a few products and I find that Carmex works the best. However, my mother saw I was using it and says that petrolium in it is bad. It should not be put on your lips as it gets injested quicker. One of her all natural health nut doctors recomended this stuff called Burts Bees Wax. In it contains beeswax, coconut oil, sunflower oil, pepermint oil, and a couple other things. Its all natural and they say its better for you. So far its been working just as well and the taste, smell and feel is so much better than carmex.

So, (I know you may not know the brand names of these) but what are you opinions/facts/whatever on petrolium on your lips and the all natural way?
    A lot of my friends use vaseline (petrolium jelly) on there lips but personally I don't find it moisturing enough. I like Blistex. Not sure what's in it though.
  • Options
    I use vaseline. Only 99p for a pot of it! Last's 4eva!
  • Options
    Petroleum jelly is non-toxic so I don't know where that doc got that idea... [you didn't buy this beeswax stuff off him did you :rolleyes: ]

Apparently you will have to ingest massive amounts of PJ to get any affects [which a "mild laxative actions" is all that I can find happens]

By using such a tiny amount on your lips you are doing no harm.

Maybe he doesn't like it because it is not natural, i.e. it is from oil rather than a bee.... :confused:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I use something called liposan, I don't know if you have it over there. It's like a lipstick, but clear.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    it is not natural, i.e. it is from oil rather than a bee.... :confused:
    It's not all that natural to use something that comes from a bee on one's lips though is it? You don't see any other animals doing it!
  • Options
    Charlie84 wrote:
    Did you know it's seven times more expensive to by it in the little metal pots than in a tub?

But then again you wouldn't want to carry a tub around in your handbag or whatever and they do expire eventually.
  • Options
    People have used petrolium jelly for hundreds of years. What a load of tosh your doc's come out with. It's perfectly fine.

Personally, I use whatever's handy - I have 3 Nivea Lip Care Essential so I've always got one on me.
    I've got 3 pots of Blistex too, for night time.

I'm not a fan of Vaseline - it's not moisturising enough for me, but everyone I know swears by the stuff...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Charlie84 wrote:

omigd so kool!!!!

Though, quite frankly, I never have nor would ever even consider putting vasoline on my lips. The thought discusts me.

And Panthro, she did buy it from me, it isn't sold at the Dr's, its sold at any store. Hence why I said I liked the taste and feel better, I would have assumed that gave it away that I do in fact own it :rolleyes: