Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Creating your own music...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know what kind of software you need to do this? Some guy was showing me his own tracks which he'd made himself with what looked like a pretty basic piece of software a few months ago...some fantastic stuff...been looking for something similar on the net but no luck so far...any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    I'd just use eJay if you've done anything like this before. eJay is very simple and you don't have to get bogged down with MIDI/sequencers/synths etc.

www.ejay.co.uk - you can also buy this software in places like PC World, Game & Amazon etc. Covers genres like Dance/Techno/Hip-Hop/RnB. You can also buy their sample CDs which gives you loads of other genres like DnB/Dance Hall/Electro/Trance/House/Ambient/etc etc.
  • Options
    The best programs are Fruityloops, Reason and Cubase
  • Options
    fruityloops is loads better than ejay. if you want some professional standard, complicated stuff, get reason or cubase.

liam howlett used reason to make the new prodigy album. i think.
  • Options
    Cubase SX 3 is great, also if you have access to a mac Soundtrack pro is also a good program
  • Options
    Cubase is not a beginners tool. Fruity Loops is a good entry level package but you will need to by VSTi's for either Cubase/FL (the ones you get with FL are shit). Reason is ok but it's to limiting (for me any way), I'd go for Fruity Loops over Reason if I had to choose.

eJay would be better for a newbie because you can get the basics of how a track is built quickly and you do not need to spend lots of money on software and you don't need any knowledge of MIDI/music theory/synthesis.

If you don't think eJay is for you then go for Fruity Loops and take time to learn it because it's not bad and gives you fairly good sound quality.

P.S. Liam only used some of Reason for the new album.
  • Options
    If you have access to a mac, garage band is great for writing your own stuff. Programmes like e-jay are based on loops and sticking together stuff your own way.
  • Options
    Pro Tools would be my choice for a mac, not something to look into getting just yet mind.
  • Options
    P.S. Liam only used some of Reason for the new album.

Music? Album? Reason! Give me!

I have to say, I found mixing on a PS2 game fantastic to get into making music; gives you ideas on how things should sound and so on, then went to fruityloops to put my ideas into practise.
  • Options
    everything every one else has said.
    ejay ...is for kids but ...does give you a grounding in putting a tune together using samples and editing.
    download acid pro trial ...then pm me ... .
  • Options
    http://www.mixman.com

MixMan is fun for just playing around with.