Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mecano = a way to attach an HDD holder.

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Well, yes. My PC had space for only 1 hdd, so, I had to find a way to get two in (as my caddy had died). So, internal being the way forward, there was only one conclusion - rip a holder out another PC. But how to attach it, I wondered? Why, the joy of Mecano of course! So, an array of Mecano pieces now holds two HDD's in place, infront of a fan. Joy. I'll pop some pics up soon, as soon as I finish backing up data.

What kindof madness have you ever done to a computer, to get a desired result? Let's make this a topic about the 1337est mods, ever. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not the neatest of mod's but well done all the same :). Re-make it out of lego, and I will be 10x as impressed.

I've used a disk sander to completely de-beige a case and then sprayed it with car paint and varnish. Looked ok when it was done but it just chipped like crazy.

Usually i leave my hdd's dangling inside the case, Can never be arsed to secure them properly.
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Not the neatest of mod's but well done all the same :). Re-make it out of lego, and I will be 10x as impressed.

I've used a disk sander to completely de-beige a case and then sprayed it with car paint and varnish. Looked ok when it was done but it just chipped like crazy.

Lego? Not as easy... and my lego is far more valued than risking it in there! :p... i plan to respray my case soonish. Just, when I get my new PC, and im going to rebuild it, it'll be matt black. Heheh.
    noog wrote:
    Usually i leave my hdd's dangling inside the case, Can never be arsed to secure them properly.

I take it you don't move the PC much, then? :p So dangerous!
  • Options
    I move the PC alot, that's the point. I'm always putting drives in and taking them out as I run scans on the machine for my clients. so often stuff isn't screwed together properly. Although i have to say I'm getting better. I used to never have the sides on my case and my motherboard wasn't even screwed down properly before! :P
  • Options
    Is it just me or is there space in the original chassis for 2 hard drives?

I don't think I've ever really done a bodge. I've got a couple of fans held on the side of the chassis by cable-ties, I've wired up my car stereo to the PSU in the past, all my fans run at 7v so the PC is virtually silent... don't really class any of them as bodges though :).
  • Options
    Car Radio to PSU? Ace. Cable ties are mans best freind, as well...

BTW, i tried fitting an hdd in the case's original bit, and trust me - no luck. At all. It's too small.
  • Options
    LOL .. very good, I'm gonna point that posting out to someone who works for Mecanno.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Lego would look so pro.
  • Options
    lol that looks alright actaully.