Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Meeting his mum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now and have only met his mum for a few minutes when she picked him up from uni for summer. I'm going down to say at his after christmas to spend 6 days with him but I'll have to properly meet his mum which I'm kind of scared about as she is really protective over him and they are really close. I shall be polite and try not to say the wrong things but do I get her a gift for letting me stay? She isn't really into flowers but how about a box of chocolates? Any other suggestions? Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    How about taking them out for dinner whilst you're down? Thats what I did the first time I met my partners mum, when we visited during the summer.
  • Options
    Just a little gesture!
    I was never properly introduced to my bf's mum, i think he was scared what his mum may say about him n i'd run a mile!
  • Options
    Definitely get her a small gift like chocolates or something for having you to stay. And send a thank you card afterwards too, parents love stuff like that :)
  • Options
    a bottle of wine is usually welcomed by those who drink too.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will go for the box of chocolates. She isn't a wine drinker and we won't have the chance for me to take them out for a meal although that is a good idea. Also I make cards so I shall send a homemade thank you card afterwards!

How did it go on friday Your-babe??
  • Options
    Oh right, hmmmm, well at least you've got a little while to think more about what you are going to say to them when you do meet them! I'm petrified at the moment bt I suppose it will be good to get it over a done with! Bicardi and TV does sound good though!!
  • Options
    Also I make cards so I shall send a homemade thank you card afterwards!

Ooo, definitely :D
  • Options
    Eul Grepus wrote:
    How about taking them out for dinner whilst you're down? Thats what I did the first time I met my partners mum, when we visited during the summer.

:yes:
  • Options
    Sounds like you're on the right lines - politeness and consideration are the things to keep in mind with your other half's parents. My poor boyfriend is worrying a lot about meeting my dad but sent him a Christmas card this Christmas nonetheless which my dad seemed really pleased with. Offering to help out with stuff always goes down well too (like doing the washing up if they cook you a meal, or peeling veg beforehand...etc)
  • Options
    Yeah I agree with you StupidGirl about the politeness thing! Will definately offer to help out where I can next week (well it's only two and a half days until I go now!!!). I'm so excited but nervous. I've still got to buy the chocs (found out she likes those seashell ones so hopefully they'll go down well)!