Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

teeth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ever since i had work done at the dentist on my teeth i have had toothache everyday after i eat just on one side and it's the side with the filling it only happens after i eat and it effects my wisdom tooth thats coming through, i know i should prob go back to the dentist but i hate the dentist.

i aint having a lot of luck lately.

Comments

• Options
    You could have some bacteria under the filling in which case you'll need to have it removed and redone.

When people go to the dentist they should always give their mouth an extra good cleaning, brush really well, use an antiseptic mouthwash or gargle with TCP, brush their tongue, etc and also make sure they don't eat or drink anything.

because once the dentist gets to work they'll be exposing your mouth to added dangers whilst they're working. Drilling, possible cuts to your gums, etc

You also need to make sure your dentist is totally 100% trustworthy .. on holiday I met a whole group of trainee Dentists and one of them said the first thing they teach you is to leave something undone so you get the repeat visit.

If you're not using an antiseptic mouthwah I'd suggest you start using one like Listerine or TCP diulted with water and see if that helps, you could have some food trapped inbetween your gums or plaque which when you eat turns the food into acid which is what could be causing your pain.

Try flossing where it hurts.
  • Options
    Which can lead to abesses (sp?) which you so don't want so go get it looked at again.
  • Options
    I am the complete example of this.

I didn't have toothache or anything, but I knew I needed a couple of fillings - having never had any before, I went to my dentist in May this year, who said I needed three fillings - two at the top on my front teeth, and one on the bottom right side, about half way back. So I paid £200 to have nice white fillings - 'private' costs, obviously. :|

Now, I wish I'd have just stuck to NHS. I had awful toothache for days afterwards, to the point where I just cried and cried. I didn't know any better - I'd never had a filling - so I just thought it was normal and I'd get over it. Which I did, but it left me with sensitive teeth - which I'd never had before.

Anyway, in September, my gum swelled up randomly above one of the teeth I had filled at the front... It went down after a couple of days so I didn't think anymore of it - and I was going on my jollies the next day and didn't want to ruin it!!

About 2 weeks ago, however, I started with bad toothache on the Tuesday - by the Thursday, I was in so much pain I begged the dentist to see me in an emergency and sat and bawled my eyes out for 2 days. I couldn't think or see for the pain... I can't begin to explain how bad it was.

I saw a different dentist at the same surgery (as the first guy had left)... it turns out that all three fillings should have been root canal fillings - because I've got abcesses - or at least the start of them - and because the first dentist hasn't done them properly (and conveniently destroyed my original x-rays) I have had to pay another £200 to get the one giving me the most pain done (which has been started today, in fact!) and now I have to consult the practice manager because I'm refusing to pay for work that should have been carried out in May, when I originally went.

SO - please please PLEASE go to your dentist, straight away. Don't do what I did and assume everything is OK! I'm sure you'll be fine - but it's better to be safe than sorry. My story is proof!
  • Options
    i went today, turns out my filling was too high or something and just needed filing down things have been fine since and i'm getting pizza tonight woo.

shehasnotime - sorry too hear about your rough time with the dentist i'm sure it can't be nice but i hope you get everything sorted soon.
  • Options
    i went today, turns out my filling was too high or something and just needed filing down things have been fine since and i'm getting pizza tonight woo.

shehasnotime - sorry too hear about your rough time with the dentist i'm sure it can't be nice but i hope you get everything sorted soon.

Nice one mate - you know want to ever have to go through what I am right now! Glad it's all sorted for you :D
  • Options
    i think im quite lucky, i've known my dentist since i was little and my mum works at the surgery as a dental nurse
    however when i had my braces, my orthodontist told me i had a big decay in 1 tooth, when i went to have it filled in my normal dentist said there was hardly anything there! :yeees:
  • Options
    Shit man, after reading all these posts im kinda scared. My teeth are very good (so me dentist says), as I have no fillings and they are straight and well-formed.

but, on my left side, my wisdom tooth is peeping through. Dentist has said i should get it removed in a couple of months (it has just started to peep through the gum). Now, he says, what would I like, General or Local. Mates are saying that there's a risk I could die with the general (i.e. not wake up) but I dont like the idea of the watching my dentist perched over a chair dragging out my mouth with the local. So i dunno.

Either way am scared because I have never had problems with me teeth and have not had to go to the dentists often.
  • Options
    I thought they only removed your wisdom teeth if they were going to be a problem?

I mean, usually they're quite big and can be close to your nerves... so I would have thought they're best left alone unless they start giving you pain/problems!

But, hey, I'm not the dentist, haha.
  • Options
    You also need to make sure your dentist is totally 100% trustworthy .. on holiday I met a whole group of trainee Dentists and one of them said the first thing they teach you is to leave something undone so you get the repeat visit.
    Recently I've had some problems with my wisdom teeth. I am having them out on Wednesday actually. But a couple of months back they were infected. I went to the dentist and got anti-biotics but about ten days later they were infected again so had to go back for more anti-biotics. They didn't charge me anything for the second visit even though it's private and they were well within their rights to. Also this wasn't her fault that I had to return it was just bad luck really.
  • Options
    chan-chan wrote:
    Now, he says, what would I like, General or Local. Mates are saying that there's a risk I could die with the general (i.e. not wake up)
    Your mates are just trying to scare you I think.

If you'd prefer a general and there is no medical reason that you would not be suitable then have a general.

I'm having a general on Wednesday when I get mine out.