Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Airline Safety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Which Airline do you feel safest on? or least safe?

Was watching a programme on how in the US their approach is to wait for planes to crash and then examine the black box to help prevent the same kind of crash happening in the future, whilst companie's like British Airways for the last 40 years have been using a system that monitors the entire flight and then is analysed after each flight to spot trends, so if any problems occur they can be spotted before the plane crashes... kind of like how new computer hard drives have systems now for monitoring them to spot when they are having problem rather then leaving it too late.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    What program was this?

Safety is paramount in every modernized airline, whether that be British Airways or American Airlines. I'd like to know what system you are specifically refering to?

To me it seems you are trying to say different airlines use different equipment in the cockpit. All modern Airbus and Boeing avionics have a diagnostic system reporting any faults.

I'd go as far to say that program was bullshit.
  • Options
    It was on Discovery ..

And they were talking in particular about 737's

And they said following 2 crashes in the USA where a valve suddenly jammed and sent the plane into a dive and straight into the ground the American NTSB had to go to British Airways to gather more data as they have additional computers in their planes which monitor the entire flight and then get stored on a removable tape and is analysed after every single flight to make sure everything is working as expected as well as to make sure the pilots are flying both the safest way and the most economical.

http://www.annesharp.com/fdstext.html

http://www.teledyne-controls.com/productsolution/qar/QAR.asp

These crashes were inthe 90's so newer aircraft might have had updates by now.

http://www.airlinesafety.com/faq/B-737Rudder.htm
  • Options
    If you are on one of the big names flying is stupidly safe, you are hugely more likely to die some other way.
  • Options
    I was quite intimidated when I stepped onto an aircraft with a junky/ie? as a pilot :p. I was heading to Seychelles for a vacation.
  • Options
    How did you know you had a junkie as a pilot?

I've had one on the tanoy who definately sounded drunk before, that was a little scary.
  • Options
    It was on Discovery ..

And they were talking in particular about 737's

And they said following 2 crashes in the USA where a valve suddenly jammed and sent the plane into a dive and straight into the ground the American NTSB had to go to British Airways to gather more data as they have additional computers in their planes which monitor the entire flight and then get stored on a removable tape and is analysed after every single flight to make sure everything is working as expected as well as to make sure the pilots are flying both the safest way and the most economical.

http://www.annesharp.com/fdstext.html

http://www.teledyne-controls.com/productsolution/qar/QAR.asp

These crashes were inthe 90's so newer aircraft might have had updates by now.

http://www.airlinesafety.com/faq/B-737Rudder.htm

These aircraft were 737-300's and crashed because of uncommanded full rudder deflection on approach, driving the aircraft into the ground. US Air and Untied Airlines both had it occur to them in the early 90's, and the problem was easily found and corrected by boeing soon after.

The 737-300 is an early example that followed the first 737-200. There are still many flying in the world today with updated avionics and mechanical parts. But many airlines are starting to phase these older types out for the newer genereation 737's.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    How did you know you had a junkie as a pilot?

I've had one on the tanoy who definately sounded drunk before, that was a little scary.

EDIT: he looked like a junkie :P - with his dreadlocks and scabby clothes.
  • Options
    I've never felt unsafe on any airline, though I haven't flown with many.

Cathay Pacific always make me feel very safe, and they are a very good airline to fly long-haul. And the low-cost airline HLX are very good, mostly because they're German.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    These aircraft were 737-300's and crashed because of uncommanded full rudder deflection on approach, driving the aircraft into the ground. US Air and Untied Airlines both had it occur to them in the early 90's, and the problem was easily found and corrected by boeing soon after.

The 737-300 is an early example that followed the first 737-200. There are still many flying in the world today with updated avionics and mechanical parts. But many airlines are starting to phase these older types out for the newer genereation 737's.

if it was so easily found and corrected why did two planes crash and people die and not 1 plane crash and then be corrected?

Are you a pilot or something?

That fact you say boeing easily found and then corrected the problem means they'd make themselves liable, the reports I saw said they blamed everyone (including the pilots that died in the crashes) except themselves for the problem.