Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aspartame (Nutrasweet)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    ive been avoiding it for years, although i do have some stuff that it is in - its harder to avoid than bloody nestle!
    I wont give it to my son, although im less strict about having it in my own stuff.
  • Options
    On the basis that stuff that taste bad is good for you and stuff that is sweet is bad then there's gotta be something dodgey about it - it's like 200 times sweeter then sugar
  • Options
    Avoid it, it's fucking lethal, breaking down cells and causing headaches, eyesight problems and cancer.

It's also as addictive as fuck, not because it does anything for you, but because it causes withdrawal when you stop taking it.
  • Options
    I've not been feeling great lately - only thng I've really done differently recently though is drink two 2 Litre bottles of Pepsi Max

Wondering if the Nutrasweet in it is to blame .. Oh and had some at the gym in my coffee.

Beginning to think water is the only thing safe to drink these days

BTW see this below:

http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Avoid it, it's fucking lethal, breaking down cells and causing headaches, eyesight problems and cancer.

Exactly. Definitely not safe. I had retrobulbar neuritis when i was 8 or 9 (inflammation of the optic nerve meaning that in the space of a week I went from seeing fine to being almost completely blind). Doctors reckon it was caused by a build up of sweeteners like Aspartame in my system. Now I avoid it like the plague.

Just to add: Thankfully I was put on a dose of steroids which reduced the inflammation and my sight was returned to it's normal state. It was still a seriously scary experience, and for a few days the doctors thought that my sight may never return.
  • Options
    I avoid it too. Although it's hard to steer completely clear of it sometimes! I can taste it though, whenever I have something with aspartame in it I can always tell and think it tastes gross.

My flatmate is a health/diet freak and she insists on buying everything lite/low fat/reduced sugar etc and I hate it, it's full of chemicals and I refuse to eat it.
  • Options
    Is this the chemical in sweetners?
    My boyfriend is diabetic so he cant have sugar but he goes through a hell of a lot of sweetner!
  • Options
    Is this the chemical in sweetners?
    My boyfriend is diabetic so he cant have sugar but he goes through a hell of a lot of sweetner!

Yes the stuff they make those little tablets in the pink packets with.
  • Options
    Bad seed?