Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Too Much Sleep?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I want to know if you can have too much sleep.

For the past month or so I've been really tired, all the time. I know everyone moans about this but its getting silly now. Like for the past couple of Sundays, I've come home from work at half 4, gone to bed for half 6 and slept straight through til 10am the next morning which is like 16 hours or something, ridiculous!

And like last night, I went to bed at about 1am, and woke up at about 12 dinner time, but I didn't even feel alive and awake enough to get up til about half 1. I feel really bad and that its like me being lazy but it really isn't, I'm actually knackered! And tonight at work I started yawning at about 9.30ish even though I'd had 12 hours sleep.

I do do a lot of hours at work (like 52ish this week) but I only work in a supermarket on the checkouts and going getting stuff for people, its not as if its really hard strenous work. I never used to be like this either I used to not be able to sleep!

My Mum said you can make yourself tired by sleeping too much, and that I should try and make myself get up earlier. Is that true? and does anyone know any reasons why I might have started being like this?

Cheers for any suggestions and advice!

Comments

• Options
    Maybe your body has just become adapted to having so much sleep and you have become dependent on it? I think you just need to adapt your sleeping pattern to one which is shorter and more regular and consistent. E.g. go to bed and wake up at similar times everyday.

Over the last few months I have had less sleep but now I can cope with it more than I would have been able to previously because my body is now more used to it.
  • Options
    i do this too. sometimes i cant sleep n go for days getting up at the crack of dawn and going to bed in the wee hours of the morning and then for a week or something i cant get enough sleep. it's shit to be honest but i dunno what it is. possibly just a bad routine or something...
  • Options
    Certainly a regular sleeping pattern is helpful, but you are working quite a lot of hours by today's standards, and maybe it is more draining on you than you think.

Sleep hygiene info
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Certainly a regular sleeping pattern is helpful, but you are working quite a lot of hours by today's standards, and maybe it is more draining on you than you think.

Sleep hygiene info

Ooh that link was quite interesting, thanks.

I suppose I'll have to try getting up earlier. I think I've probably got myself into a bad sleep pattern because most days I don't start til half 1, so I know I don't have to get up early in the morning, its like I can have a lie-in everyday and I'm not used to waking up early now.

My Mum also said I probably get tired during the day as well and stuff cos I have a really bad diet :/ as in I hardly ever eat any fruit or vegetables, and I don't eat a lot of meat either so I suppose I'm not really getting any energy.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I sleep LOADS when i can