Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Changing my diet to veggie

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So when I heard about how much the meat industry destroys the earth I decided I didn't want a part in it anymore and cut meat from my diet and have replaced it with things like qorn and meat free options.

However, I've been feeling a bit bloated and even sick quite a bit and don't know why.

I eat plenty of fruit and veg, still eat cheese, bread ect

Is it just my body adapting?

Comments

• Options
    How long have you been feeling bloated etc... it is more then likely that you body is just adapting.
  • Options
    Your body is craving real food. Give it what it wants.
  • Options
    Vegetables and meat supplements aren't 'real' food?

What do you live off steaks?
  • Options
    Maybe one of the new foods you've introduced into your diet (or increased your intake of) doesn't agree with you. But if you've gone from eating a fair amount of meat to eating none at all, then naturally it'll take time for it to adjust. Give it a while and see if you start to feel better, before worrying too much.

As for people who make comments about meat being essential blahblahblah, it's worth reminding them that Gorillas are essentially vegetarian (except for the odd human that might get in the way ;) ) and could squash them like a bug :p
  • Options
    Vegetables and meat supplements aren't 'real' food?

What do you live off steaks?
    I was just joking. It's probably the adjustment as you say, or it could just be the occasional bloating that normal people get from time to time. Or you could be intolerant of some of those processed meat alternatives.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Maybe one of the new foods you've introduced into your diet (or increased your intake of) doesn't agree with you. But if you've gone from eating a fair amount of meat to eating none at all, then naturally it'll take time for it to adjust. Give it a while and see if you start to feel better, before worrying too much.

As for people who make comments about meat being essential blahblahblah, it's worth reminding them that Gorillas are essentially vegetarian (except for the odd human that might get in the way ;) ) and could squash them like a bug :p
    Gorillas do eat meat of sorts ;)
  • Options
    I've heard that Quorn can sometimes make people feel sick and bloated, have you been eating a lot of that? Otherwise I have been veggie for eleven years and never really experienced any problems, so it might just be something to do with your body adjusting.
  • Options
    Hiya
    Check out the Vegetarian Society's site for some help with going veggie. Also our factsheet on vegetarianism.

If your concerns about eating meat are linked to the environment you could do some research on local meat suppliers who use more ethical farming methods or talk to local butchers about where their meat comes from. Many small farms use organic farming methods and sell to farmers markets etc. If consumers take more of a stand about buying 'good' meat the supermarkets will eventually listen.

This link might help you
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    People use several chemical compounds on vegetables, which harm not only the plants themselves but insects, the ground, other plants and possibly even people.
    I know it's sad, but if that's how you think you might as well not eat at all...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    Gorillas do eat meat of sorts ;)

And it's worth pointing out that -[MoonRat]- isn't actuall a gorilla.

Eat meat. Just be careful where you get it from.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yeah, buy British from local shops. It tastes better too.
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    If consumers take more of a stand about buying 'good' meat the supermarkets will eventually listen.

[/URL]

Might listen? I'd say the size of the organic meat market is evidence that shops have been listening for quite some time.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    And it's worth pointing out that -[MoonRat]- isn't actuall a gorilla.
    A good point well made.
  • Options
    Ok, it may be flatulance and diorreah from hummus
  • Options
    dried veggie mince doesnt agree with my belly :no: its worth remembering that alot of veggie alternatives are derived from beans of some variety so its bound to play havoc with your insides! your body will get used to the new diet