Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

File - Can't delete

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I downloaded what I thought was a song from Limewire the other night. Turns out it's not a song. It reads as windows media file but the player still doesn't read it. So I went to delete it but found when I right-clicked that the option to delete was not there, along with properties etc :confused: . Just wondering how I go about removing it. I have no other problems with other downloaded files - just this one.

Comments

• Options
    make sure limewire's closed, then click it, press shift+delete, that'll get rid of it hopefully!

if it says the disk is write protected or something similar, it means the file is being used by something on your system.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Safe mode. :D
  • Options
    Just thought i'd let you know that limewire has been forced to stop letting people download free ala napster and winmx , part of the group have started a new engine up though which is exactly the same but with a different name.

anyway to the point, have you tryed to just push the delete button :blush:

sorry , safe mode should do the job, otherwise do a virus scan and a quick scan with a spyware finder and you should be right soon enough
  • Options
    Yes I have tried just pressing delete but it doesn't work.

Never put my laptop into safe mode, how do I go about it?
  • Options
    Just use this, it's quite handy.

Move on Boot

Once installed, right click on the file you want to remove and click "Delete files(s) on the next boot".
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Safe mode. :D
    God you and ya bloody safe mode
  • Options
    Just use this, it's quite handy.

Move on Boot

Once installed, right click on the file you want to remove and click "Delete files(s) on the next boot".

I give this a go but didn't work.

When it asked for file to be removed during reboot I selected the offending file and it said it's filename was invalid :confused: . I can't change the filename either so not sure at all what to do.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Could try removing the hard drive, and either plugging it in as a slave to another computer, or such as, and delete it off as the slave drive maybe?

Seems a right bastard file you have there.

And like I say, try booting up in safe mode. :D
  • Options
    Explain how please.
  • Options
    Safe mode that is. Slave drives etc mean fuck all to me.
  • Options
  • Options
    This file is now my nemesis. I tried using safe mode (cheers Nash etc) but it still wouldn't let me delete it. Getting a bit fucked off now. It's like a spot that just won't fuck off.
  • Options
    Have you done virus checks etc, files that can't be removed typically are malicious. And unfortunetly using p2p's like limewire, kazaa etc you're always going to have these files cropping up that you expected to be the 'real deal'. Next time virus check any files before you open them, and use 'better' p2ps like Soulseek.
  • Options
    I have done checks and spy bot searching programs etc but still no joy. Absolute cunt.
  • Options
    download AVG, scan your pc or even the individual file,

i get alot of these files from miss downloaded files on limewire, let me guess, when you try to open it, it opens media player and keeps saying "opening media" or "connecting to media"

Delete is a bit of a bastard, Start up with nothing enabled, (go to start/run/ type "msconfig" without the "", select start up, disabled all, apply, exit and restart, it could work, if not you also have to press ctrl - alt - del and kill all process and applications that are not ment to be there, or inuse by your computer, any taking up large amounts of CPU power shouldn't be there, if its a major windows process it wont let you kill it BUT if you kill the wrong one, it'll stop your pc working untill you restart, but these got rid of the files for me so it should work.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    download AVG, scan your pc or even the individual file,

i get alot of these files from miss downloaded files on limewire, let me guess, when you try to open it, it opens media player and keeps saying "opening media" or "connecting to media"

Delete is a bit of a bastard, Start up with nothing enabled, (go to start/run/ type "msconfig" without the "", select start up, disabled all, apply, exit and restart, it could work, if not you also have to press ctrl - alt - del and kill all process and applications that are not ment to be there, or inuse by your computer, any taking up large amounts of CPU power shouldn't be there, if its a major windows process it wont let you kill it BUT if you kill the wrong one, it'll stop your pc working untill you restart, but these got rid of the files for me so it should work.

When downloading from limewire and such like, you should start looking at the file you want to download more carefully, like what extension, file size, and if the naming looks tampered with. Alot of the .wmv files are fakes, and try to connect elsewhere.

It can become apparent by looking at a file that infact, it is fake. Also if you want less of these occurances, then move away from limewire etc, there are much better p2p's out there.
  • Options
    yeah i always check but you can never be sure.