Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Need brains please lol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Other half has downloaded a AVI Video file. I think it needs a codec in order to be able to play it. Any ideas on how we get it working please? I don't know much about these files etc Ta.

Comments

• Options
    Search Google for 'Gordianknot codecs', and the chances are the correct one will be included in the package :).
  • Options
    Search Google for 'Gordianknot codecs', and the chances are the correct one will be included in the package :).
    :yes:

The All in 1 codec pack usually has most of the commonly used codecs too, found here.
  • Options
    Thanks once the pack is downloaded is that it or do i need to do summat?
    Also does it matter where i save it?
  • Options
    Doesn't matter where you download it to, just somewhere you can easily find it once it has been downloaded!

Then you'll need to run it and install the codecs, it should be a simple to run through installation, just selecting the default options should be enough!
  • Options
    its asking if i have a http provy server to connect to the internet :s umm :o its tesco broadband... help oh dear
  • Options
    Is there a skip button of sorts, or a 'use internet explorer settings' option?
  • Options
    it just says do you use... then yes or no
  • Options
    Ahh, no then, you probably wont use a proxy server.
  • Options
    Thanks tons it works :D
  • Options
    :thumb:
  • Options
    its a bit late now methinks but codec packs aren't the best idea a lot of the time. They can cause more problems than they solve. A better solution would have been to use a codec identifier and install the needed one.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Most videos use DivX anyway, I think.
  • Options
    DiVX and XViD are the most common. It's far easier to get someone who isn't 100% familiar with computers to install the entire pack, than to try and guide them through each codec individually - IMO.
  • Options
    That's what I thought. Plus I've used the all in one pack, and the kazaa lite codec pack in the past, had no problems whatsoever viewing different encoded videos.
  • Options
    It isn't that hard. Tweety is not a moron. Plus if you using a codec identifier it's even more simple.
  • Options
    Tweety is not a moron.

:heart:

Anyway it worked so thanks for everyones help.
  • Options
    It isn't that hard. Tweety is not a moron. Plus if you using a codec identifier it's even more simple.

I never said Tweety was a moron. I simply said it was easiest if the whole pack was downloaded. By her own admittance, she didn't know much about 'these files' - as far as I'm concerned, the easier and more complete the solution, the better.
  • Options
    I never said Tweety was a moron. I simply said it was easiest if the whole pack was downloaded. By her own admittance, she didn't know much about 'these files' - as far as I'm concerned, the easier and more complete the solution, the better.

I'm not arguing with you as its over. You risked causing problems that could have been avoided by not trying to crack a walnut with a sledge hammer.