Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

pink highlights!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
in a moment of madness me and my boyfriend put pink highlights in my dark brown hair last night. it looks really cool, and is pretty even, maybe a few more highlights on one side. However I'm getting a sneaking suspicion these highlights are the sort that are going to turn orangey - it was a one step bleach/colour? how long will it take, and how can i maintain them.. and if disaster strikes wil normal dark brown hair dye cover them up?!

Comments

• Options
    ijust did red highlights the other day and although looked tres cool, it did start fading and looking a bit gingery after the first couple of washes, so i bought some directions hair tint and am just going to top it up once a week or once a fortnight. Directions are good as its in a tub and you dont have to mix anything, nor do you have to use it all up. you just use a bit at a time and put the lid back on. A tub is about £4 and lasts for ages and ages.
  • Options
    the one step colours are evil. for bright colours the best bet is always to bleach first and then put a temp colour (like directions, a la RB) over the top. the temporary colour is non-damaging, so once you've bleached you can top up the colour as often as you need/like and you won't kill your hair.

some people even go as far as putting a wee bit of the colour in their conditioner, so they get a top-up every time they wash. this will turn your bath/shower the colour of your hair though...

also, this doesn't work if your hair tends to be greasy, but a good tip is to shampoo less often. only use shampoo once a week. on the other washes, give it a good rinse and use conditioner, just skip the shampoo. your hair will still look, smell and feel clean, it will just strip out less of your colour.

if all fails, a permanent colour in a natural or ashy brown will cover the pink. don't use a brown with a red tint though, or you will find yourself with sexy orange highlights.
  • Options
    learned my lesson the hard way :rolleyes: very fine pink highlights turn into very fine orange highlights giving an overall gingery/graying effect, plus they're gonna be sooooo hard to re-colour. so i'm going to stick a hat on and go get some dark brown hair dye to blend it in with my normal hair. aw, he'll be so disapointed :crying:
  • Options
    nooo, just buy directions
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIRECTIONS-HAIR-DYE-ANY-COLOUR-CHEAP-3-50-PUNK-AS_W0QQitemZ5634699898QQcategoryZ31412QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
    you dont have to get it from ebay. Loads of shops sell it, especially skatery punky shops, or cooler hairdressers.
  • Options
    if your hair is naturally dark brown, you could just put the pink dye on the whole of your head.

the highlights will turn out hot pink, and the rest of your hair will have a fab subtle pink sheen.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I dyed my hair bright pink underneath, unfortunately it didn't last long but i was lucky that my hair turned a golden blonde colour once the pink had washed out. I've also dyed a red streak in my hair, that lasted better as it faded alot slower. Its now a washed out pink so i'm hoping it won't go orange! argh! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    nooo, just buy directions
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIRECTIONS-HAIR-DYE-ANY-COLOUR-CHEAP-3-50-PUNK-AS_W0QQitemZ5634699898QQcategoryZ31412QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
    you dont have to get it from ebay. Loads of shops sell it, especially skatery punky shops, or cooler hairdressers.

you can get similar things to this in the corn exchange in leeds in Grin Pinkvans. fingers crossed for you!!