Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

long term relationships-do they work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya, i went to cardiff for the weekend and i met thisguythere who i really like. He is afriend of my brothers who we met up with and hung around with. He told my brother he liked me too and asked him if it would be ok if he asked me out. He asked me out on the last day but i turned him down cause of the distance (about 160 miles) i dnt mind travelling down there but im a student and i work part time too so i rarely get 2 days off together and when i do they r spent doing assignments. Now im back home i feel bad for turning him down as i do really like himand i want to be with him.

What do u think? can long distance relationships work if we only get to see each other say once a month?

Comments

• Options
    Long distance relationships can work, but they are very hard work and most fail.

This is a common question, and there isn't anything new to add to it. You ahve to work at it, and most people decide that they can't be bothered. You would probably need to see each other more than once a month.
  • Options
    lol i kinda thought hmm, why wouldn't a long term relationship work...

and yes, they can work. if you want it to and are the type of person who can hack it.
  • Options
    they do work if you both pull your weights and are prepared for some heartache when you're apart
  • Options
    Me and my boyfriend have been together for about 3 years and he lives near Derby and I live up in Scotland. I think it depends on how much you want the relationship to work and how much effort you are prepared to put into it. It's not easy and a few times I have thought of jacking my relationship in becuase sometimes its hard. But i have stuck in there because I love him. At the moment we are saving money to get a place together so hopefully the distance will only be temporary.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote:
    Long distance relationships can work, but they are very hard work and most fail.

This is a common question, and there isn't anything new to add to it. You ahve to work at it, and most people decide that they can't be bothered. You would probably need to see each other more than once a month.

Hi Becky, Kermit's right this is a common question - have a look at This thread on the subject as it got a pretty good response with lots of interesting examples.

Best of luck ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, what everyone else said!

But...always be wary on starting a relationship based on meeting a person over a weekend... Turns out in most cases to be not such a good idea...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all your replys, i want to get to know him better first and seehow it goes from there. Helen, the other thread was very helpful and answered all my worries so thanks for that.
  • Options
    They can do.
    Easier if you're planning to move closer together one day.
    Not something I'll ever do again, though.