Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Google, Yahoo, Msn, and the like

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One of the things i hate about installing software is the way in which some of these company's try to get you to for example set your homepage to Google.com or Yahoo.com etc. Fair enough they have tick boxes but they shouldnt be ticked whilst you are installing software it should be unticked, because people can easily make a mistake and if it's already ticked may end up installing something like that mentioned when they dont want to.

Take for example the Konfabulator, Now belongs to Yahoo ( maybe it already did and i missed that ). Upon installing it it asks as they all do these days if i want it to be set to my search engine and homepage, which i dont, but the boxes were ticked so they assume i would, another person could easily mistakingly not untick those boxes and accept it.

I really hate that company's like msn and google and yahoo are buying up the little man, as it where and take away the one little thing that ment something with that software, it was independant, and it gave it its own edge, it's not the same with these big company's coming along taking over. SO what if they can offer more than the little man, the fact is the little man will be more dedicated to making it for the people than tying to flood us with advertising, and in the long run turning it into a chargable piece of software. The little guy who made it would probably never do that, but would accept donations.

I cant be on my own in thinking this sort of thing. It detracts a lot in my opinion

Comments

• Options
    computers most of the time are better behaved than children, they do exactly what you tell them to do, to the letter

so while it might be seen as misleading, its your own fault for not properly reading what you are putting onto your computer, regardless of your level of computer literacy
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    It annoys me they all have the "YES PLEASE INTALL THE TOOLBAR NOW" box ticked

I don't like toolbars dammit :mad:

Toolbars are my nightmare. :(