Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

have arsenal been sussed out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well after watching Bolton bully them last weekend, and just now Newcastle have done them over, has arsenal's weakness been found? seems like they don't like the physical game, wenger admitted as much the other week but surely the secret is out now, are arsenal just a bunch of pretty boys who can't handle a little bruising.........?

6th by the way now........
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yes, we have been "sussed out" tactically.

Arsenal don't like the physical game? 61 red cards in 10 years says differently. It also highlights why we don't like to get stuck in anymore, our players get sent off for doing so, other teams players don't.

The teams that have beaten us this season (apart from Boro [defensive errors] and West Brom [inexperienced team]), and will beat us over the course will do so by kicking us off the pitch.

It's not pretty to watch, I'm disgusted to see any team do it. No use crying over it though, thats football. Arsene needs to change the tactics and bring in the players to counter this.

This has to spell the end of the "sexy football era" at Arsenal I'm afraid and that's the Premiership's loss. I knew we were in for a hard season, and I'm not panicing yet. It's a marathon, not a sprint. ;)
  • Options
    I don't think they have.

Gallagher sent Gilberto off for (presumably) looking at a barcode in a funny tone of voice. Mary Poppins, on the other hand, does four or five disgusting tackles and only gets a booking in the dying seconds.

It's bad refereeing more than anything. Newcastle were allowed to kick Arsenal up and down the pitch without sanction, and when Arsenal tried tro fight back by making a legitimate tackle their player gets sent off.

The disgraceful sending off changed the match.
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    Our players get sent off for doing so, other teams players don't.

:no: Gilberto's sending off was harsh (especially following Shearer's "tackle") but it really annoys when fans think teams are being victimised by refs every week. It balances out.

Arsenal are a one man team
  • Options
    Ego wrote:
    :no: Gilberto's sending off was harsh (especially following Shearer's "tackle") but it really annoys when fans think teams are being victimised by refs every week. It balances out.

You could argue the toss about that given Jenas' sending off in the first game, I think.

Some teams are victimised, and some teams are not. Arsenal get some dodgy decisions in their favour, but for the most part they are victimised. Vieira and Petit were definitely victimised, Petit's sending off after the referee walked into him illustrates it perfectly.

These decisions don't balance themselves out, Bolton proved that when they were relegated because of an appalling referee.

Take Middlebrough. The same joke that gave the "goal" at West Ham also sent Riggott off for breathing heavily yesterday at Anfield.

Until the FA start dishing out gigantic fines to referees that make blunders nothing will change.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Until the FA start dishing out gigantic fines to referees that make blunders nothing will change.

There's already massive pressure on referees to get decisions right. Pundits and fans already have the benefit of televisions replays, slow motion and multiple angles. Refs are going to make mistakes, thats part of sport, and with the amount of money and everything potentially riding on every decision matches are extremely important. I don't think we need to add to that pressure on match officials by introducing "gigantic fines"
  • Options
    Ego wrote:
    Arsenal are a one man team

"Arsenal" hasn't done badly for a one man team has he? I guess that makes "him" the greatest team of all time. Hardly suprising "he's" lost 5 games then, with the opposition having a 10-man advantage, or in Newcastle's case, 11. :rolleyes:

That smug cunt Shearer even gloated on MOTD he deserved to be booked earlier.
  • Options
    They should bring in television replays for goals, IMHO. Referees should be allowed to put players on report if they suspect something happened, but they didn't see it.

Referees will make mistakes. But mistakes like the "goals" at ManYoo and at West Ham need to be punished; mistakes like sending off a racially abused goalkeeper need to be punished. Elleray should have had the book thrown at him for what he did to Chesterfield. If a referee makes a mistake which costs a team their place in the league, as it did with Bolton, then they should be liable for that loss.

And I'll be honest. What's happened in Germany has made me suspect all referees in this country.
  • Options
    Ego wrote:
    There's already massive pressure on referees to get decisions right. Pundits and fans already have the benefit of televisions replays, slow motion and multiple angles. Refs are going to make mistakes, thats part of sport, and with the amount of money and everything potentially riding on every decision matches are extremely important. I don't think we need to add to that pressure on match officials by introducing "gigantic fines"

I don't think there's any need for fines either. The indignity of being relegated to lower leagues should suffice but only if you make a serious, serious cock-up like not booking assaults on players when you are a yard away.

I think that happened to Uriah Rennie :confused:
  • Options
    Braineater wrote:
    "Arsenal" hasn't done badly for a one man team has he? I guess that makes "him" the greatest team of all time. Hardly suprising "he's" lost 5 games then, with the opposition having a 10-man advantage, or in Newcastle's case, 11. :rolleyes:

That smug cunt Shearer even gloated on MOTD he deserved to be booked earlier.

"Arsenal" have had the chances to put Necastle away yesterday. "Arsenal" missed them both. Any team in the world would miss a player like him but he's always there and then you have other players who hit form every now and then (see RVP, Reyes, Freddy etc).

Wouldn't say Shearer was gloating. He admitted he should've been booked, which he should've been - which is fair enough I think.
  • Options
    Ego wrote:
    "Arsenal" have had the chances to put Necastle away yesterday. "Arsenal" missed them both.

Touche. :)

[QUOTE-Ego]Wouldn't say Shearer was gloating. He admitted he should've been booked, which he should've been - which is fair enough I think.[/QUOTE]

Nah, there was a sly grin there :) Probably reacting to what Wenger said.
  • Options
    Yeah i think now teams have begun to realise that if you get at Arsenal physically it will knock us out of our stride etc. Don't think were playing particulary badly and although we've lost so many games already this season im not that worried.

We've got a young squad with some real promising talent coming through and knowing Wenger i'm sure he'll find a gem somwhere in the transfer market ( yes yes i know he's bought some wank players as well).
  • Options
    I'll agree to Referee's being fined for bad decisions just a soon as players are fined for each of their mistakes, managers are fined for each of theirs and pundits are fined for everytime they get the rules wrong - which is most of the time BTW.

Referees are human. Accept it and move on.
  • Options
    I'll agree to Referee's being fined for bad decisions just a soon as players are fined for each of their mistakes, managers are fined for each of theirs and pundits are fined for everytime they get the rules wrong - which is most of the time BTW.

If a manager makes a bad mistake he will get sacked. If a player makes continual or bad mistakes he will get dropped, or get fined.

There are never any sanctions made against referees when they make horrific decisions. The linesmen at Old Trafford last season and Upton Park this should be immediately sacked from their roles, and not allowed to referee again until they can prove they are good enough.

Take what happened in Germany. The manager of Hamburg lost his job because of that referee. Referees have that power and control, and they need to be made accountable if they do not use it properly.

I always refer back to when Bolton were relegated in 1998. They were relegated on the balance of one appalling decision at home to Everton- the referee that missed that incident should have been made accountable for the consequences of his actions.
    Referees are human. Accept it and move on.

They are human. I suspect that one or two of them are open to, erm, suggestion, just like in Germany.
  • Options
    3 strike rule for referees. 3 significantly poor decisions = 1 match 'suspension'. However it is difficult to define significant - a referee will make quite a few errors throughout a match but you can't punish them for everything.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If a manager makes a bad mistake he will get sacked.

No he won't. He has to make several and lose the confidence of the Board.
    If a player makes continual or bad mistakes he will get dropped, or get fined.

Or transferred to another team where he can continue to play his trade. How many players have their salary stopped for missing a single chance which could cost his team the game.

What about Peter Crouch (as he has been in the news recently), how many chances did he miss?
    There are never any sanctions made against referees when they make horrific decisions.

Interestingly referees can already be suspended. And are.
    The linesmen at Old Trafford last season and Upton Park this should be immediately sacked from their roles

Referee a league game, then start talking about missing decisions. I'm qualified and I will only take on kids games because I am sick to death of armchair referees who have never studied the rules (but think that they know them) and have never put themself in the middle criticising my decisions. Try it on for size and you'll realise that it isn't as straight forward as you think.

The referee doesn't have the benefit of numerous camera angles, nor several hours, nor several pundit who can review a decision. He has one angle and a split second.

Sometimes I make the wrong decision. But at the moment I blow my whistle it is because I have seen an offence, or believe that I have, that is all I can do. Some decisions are subjective in nature and so you will never get consitency between two individuals. Others depend on your angle at the time the offence is committed (such as that at OT last year) and so you have to go with what you have seen, so sometimes I will not be consistent with what other people think they have seen.
    Take what happened in Germany. The manager of Hamburg lost his job because of that referee. Referees have that power and control, and they need to be made accountable if they do not use it properly.

Erm... prison not enough? And the manager of Hamburg didn't lose his job because of one game, he lost it because that game was the final straw.
    They were relegated on the balance of one appalling decision at home to Everton- the referee that missed that incident should have been made accountable for the consequences of his actions.

What about all their other games? Don't they count?
    They are human. I suspect that one or two of them are open to, erm, suggestion, just like in Germany.

Probably, but then I'll bet several lawyers are too... :p Bad apples are in every bunch. As Germany shows, catch one and you can do something about it. Seeing as there has never been an allegation in the UK (that I am aware of) then you could argue that it doesn't happen here.
  • Options
    How many players have their salary stopped for missing a single chance which could cost his team the game. What about Peter Crouch (as he has been in the news recently), how many chances did he miss?

But that is the point of the game though, which team of eleven men is better.

Games should not be distorted because of appalling refereeing, such as that seen at Newcastle, West Brom and Anfield this last weekend.
    Try it on for size and you'll realise that it isn't as straight forward as you think.

Judgement calls I can forgive. If a ref has an obstructed view then if he misses something, fair enough.

But glaring errors such as the two "goals" I mentioned cannot, and should not, be tolerated. I don't even blame the ref in those occasions, the linesmen did not get a simple decision right.

If refs and linesmen are missing such important events, then they are not fit to be officiating at the level they are doing. And in the days of professional referees, we are paying for something that is not being delivered.

I don't think referees are corrupt, but I do think they let personal prejudice get in the way of their game far more than they should. Petit's sending off when (I think it was Riley) walked into him showed it. The way Mary Poppins gets away with everything just short of murder shows it. The way manYoo get every decision in their favour because the refs are terrified of His Lordship shows it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But that is the point of the game though, which team of eleven men is better.

The referee has always played his part though. Not through corruption but because of the subjective nature of his task.
    Games should not be distorted because of appalling refereeing, such as that seen at Newcastle, West Brom and Anfield this last weekend.

In what way were they distorted? Can you guarantee that the result would have been different with changed decisions?

As I said, the referee plays a part in the game. Sometimes the supporters think it's good, others bad but he always plays a part/
    But glaring errors such as the two "goals" I mentioned cannot

Glaring were they? Are you basing that belief on the TV pictures, or have you asked the officials what they saw?

What about the blatant free kick which is missed, had it been given the entire game could have changed. All decision can have a massive impact. Just not so obvious.
    If refs and linesmen are missing such important events, then they are not fit to be officiating at the level they are doing.

And when players miss open goals, tackles and saves - even just the once, would you argue that they are not fit to play? Or the manager who makes one bad substitution, should he be sacked?

They are equally as important, yet accepted as part of the game. Human error.
    And in the days of professional referees, we are paying for something that is not being delivered.

If you want autmoatons then no, you aren't getting what you pay for. Have you considered that your expectations are too high?
    I don't think referees are corrupt, but I do think they let personal prejudice get in the way of their game far more than they should. Petit's sending off when (I think it was Riley) walked into him showed it. The way Mary Poppins gets away with everything just short of murder shows it.

I agree, they do "know" players. But then it's the same at all levels. I won't mention the team but there is one locally that I know I will have a rough game with. The kids are taught to play dirty and foul behind my back.

I know that before I referee them so I look for it.

Is that wrong?

I do think that there are players whose reputation will affect the decisions. Poppins is one, he is seen as fair (though god knows why), and Ronaldo is another. There are many occasions when he is fouled, but because of his (justfied) reputation he sometimes gets booked for diving, or just doesn't get the free kick.
    The way manYoo get every decision in their favour because the refs are terrified of His Lordship shows it.

I knew there would be an ABU rant in here somewhere. I don't accpt for one minute that you truly believe what you have written here.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The way manYoo get every decision in their favour because the refs are terrified of His Lordship shows it.

That's a load of shite and you know it.