Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Folk recommendations?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Having heard the Seth Lakeman album (which is a work of pure genius) I'm loving the folkey scene a lot more than I ever used to.

A punt in the dark this, but would anyone recommend other bands that are of a similar style? Already ticked off the Levellers, btw, who fucking rocked last week.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not really up on Folk music but there was a program on Radio 2 the other week where contempary folk artists redid the entire Rubber Soul album. It's here. Might be a good introduction and let you see who's style you like.

You could listen to Mike Harding's program on radio 2 too.
  • Options
    I'm not au fait with the current folk scene but some oldies you may like.

Anything by Bob Dylan. Just a genius.

Bert Jansch - Jack Orion, Nicola & Lucky Thirteen - the guy that most of LedZep I is ripped from

Anything by Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen. I guess Simon and Garfunkel are kinda folk.

I'm told that Rufus Wainright is a good modern folky person.
  • Options
    You could give this a go too.
  • Options
    Oysterband
  • Options
    John Martyn (quite bluesy)
    Roy Harper
    Christy Moore
  • Options
    Oh and you should come to Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival next year, and see moi serving breakfast at the canoe club (if you smile nicely I will get you a freebie!)
  • Options
    There is a singer from your neck of the woods called Vin Garbutt. He is absolutely ace. A brilliant singer/songwriter who's been around for 35 years or more.
    His songs are great (and his versions of traditional folk songs), but live, he is out of this world. He's really, really funny in between songs with the stories and jokes he tells.
    Imagine a cross between Bob Dylan and Billy Connolly.
  • Options
    Oh and you should come to Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival next year, and see moi serving breakfast at the canoe club (if you smile nicely I will get you a freebie!)
    Ooh! I want to go!!!!

And yes, Kermit you do need to listen to Fairport Convention, especially their earlier stuff with Sandy Denny. The History of Fairport Convention is an excellent place to start.
    I saw them once in Ayr and got autographs from Rik Saunders and Chris Leslie.
  • Options
    I got Dave Pegg's autograph :D and loads of other ones. Like *tries to remember when the actual autographs are 150 miles away*
    PJ Wright (Dylan Project, Little Johnny England, among others)
    The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain
    Tickled Pink
    Richard Digance

and a local band who I can't remember the name of, possibly Big Fish? And another guy from Fairport Convention, erm Gerry Conway. He was a right grumpy bugger. Peggy was cool though, really smiley and hyper, I got 'to Heather with love Dave Pegg' and my friend got 'To Zoe with Love, Peggy'.

I love the festival, it's so great. Also if it didn't go ahead our canoe club would cease to exist, because it's our only income; we make about £3000 from selling breakfasts and quizzes. If you are there in 2006, come and find me at the canoe club!
  • Options
    beautiful south are really good
  • Options
    saltdog,
    old blind dogs,

salt dog are a local band to me, theyre kind of punk folk and are becaoming quite well known now. They even played glastonbury a few years back. Nice guys too.

Old blind dogs are mates of my dad, its scottish folk music. Really getting quite big in scotland now. Get a lot of radio play. Really fucking good stuff - worth a listen. I recommend the albums`new tricks` and `close to the bone`
    depends what sort of folk you mean, but id recommend listening out for either of those.

http://www.oldblinddogs.co.uk/

http://www.oldblinddogs.co.uk/
  • Options
    Old Blind Dogs were at Fairport last year, they were good.
  • Options
    I've "acquired" a couple of Fairport Convention songs, I'd heard them before but didn't know who/what they were.

Folk is such a generic term, I know. I'm loving ceilidhs at the minute, so that's the sort of style I mean. Christy Moore is great.

Cropredy sounds like a good crack.

The only problem with "old blind dogs" as a search term is that it gave me grannydoesdlido.com or something. erm.
  • Options
    Christy Moore is a legend.
  • Options
    :heart: Christy Moore. [If you haven't already] you should check out some his Planxty-era music, which is wonderful (especially the album 'The Well Below the Valley').

Also, The Saw Doctors, whom I love so much they're even currently gracing my sig (reminded as I was by this thread). They're fabulously tongue-in-cheek and in keeping with the ceilidh theme, you should check out their song "Joyce Country ceili Band". "Bless Me Father" is a hoot!

Even though he's been mentioned before and it's an obvious choice, I couldn't post in this thread without singing the praises of Dylan. Joan Baez is a must, too.

Tool, that Vin Garbutt you mentioned definitely sounds worth checking out!
  • Options
    Indigo Girls
    Joni Mitchell
    Ani Difranco :heart:
    Dar Williams
    Jeff Hanson
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Cropredy sounds like a good crack.

It is, definitely. Except the portaloos, but I have the key for the club one! tee hee hee
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    :heart:

Tool, that Vin Garbutt you mentioned definitely sounds worth checking out!

From South Bank in Middlesbrough. One of his live cd's, like 'Plugged', from 1996 gives you a feel for what he's like. I first saw him at the Sidmouth Folk Festival in 1976.
    His early vinyls are only available on places like ebay, due to legal wrangles, but worth looking for.
  • Options
    Also a great Irish singer/songwriter called Kieran Halpin. Check his site out. Free downloads of some of his really great songs.
  • Options
    Wow, I guess the newer psych/indie/folk scene is more popular over here in the States or people on this board have different taste in music than me. Probably a bit of both. But I've been getting into for the last couple years and here is some stuff I like: Devendra Banhart, Currituck Co., Vetiver, Red Hash, song of green Pheasant, Vashti Bunyan(classic), animal collective, Iron & Wine, Sufjan Stevens, Grizzly bear, Andrew Bird. This is not all completely folk but folk is a pretty broad term.
  • Options
    viridis wrote:
    Iron & Wine

:yes: I don't know if I'd call it Folk, per se, but his music is absolutely divine. I'd second that recommendation.
  • Options
    Haven't a clue, but Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band were excellent for carols, again.
  • Options
  • Options
    ^^ saw them too!
  • Options
    Toad The Wet Sprockett & Lonestar?

Do they even count?
  • Options
    The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain
    I have their album. Utter genius!
    briggi wrote:
    The Saw Doctors
    Saw them live in Liverpool once. Great fun.
  • Options
    Woody Guthrie - just to balance all the Dylan love
  • Options
    Kathryn williams and Aimee mann