Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I never know what subject catagory piercing questions go in

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So heres my question though. I"ve had my tongue pierced for about 4 years now. My tragus for just about that same time.

Now for my little feety procedure I cannot have any piercings in. I just talked to them now and I asked specifically about that and they said no. So I was wondering, how long, in general, does it take for those two to close up? Is a few hours going to be alright?

Comments

• Options
    is it the metal or incase you swell up? you could always buy a couple of those retainer things and see if they will let you ware those
  • Options
    I do not see why a few hours is going to cause them to close up. as they have been in for about 4 years. However that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    I'd try for the plastic things. I had to take my lip piercings out for 2 hours once and my madonna closed up though my labret didn't. I tried and tried to push it back through to no avail...
  • Options
    Mel-H wrote:
    is it the metal or incase you swell up? you could always buy a couple of those retainer things and see if they will let you ware those

You knwo what, I didn't ask why. They probably dont' want anything in. As they told me I cannot wear nail polish or even have make up on. I wasn't going to be the 4 year old and ask why for everything as they are the smart ones. Now though, I do wonder why.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    I do not see why a few hours is going to cause them to close up. as they have been in for about 4 years. However that is just my opinion.
    Aparently, the tongue is the fastest healing part of the body (so I have been told). I found this to be true when I took my tongue piercing out for 45 mins and when I went to put it back in....it had kinda started to heal. I had to force my piercing back in.
  • Options
    they won't allow metal piercings as they use diathermy and wouldn't want to burn you, though in this case as its a tongue piercing they do use masks and tubes under general anaesthetic and wouldn't want to jeopardise your airway. No make up is so they can check your skin is well perfused and no nail varnish is because sometimes the pulse oximeters don't work when you're wearing it.
  • Options
    vikki1825 wrote:
    they won't allow metal piercings as they use diathermy and wouldn't want to burn you, though in this case as its a tongue piercing they do use masks and tubes under general anaesthetic and wouldn't want to jeopardise your airway. No make up is so they can check your skin is well perfused and no nail varnish is because sometimes the pulse oximeters don't work when you're wearing it.

Your good! Thanks doll :D
  • Options
    Yeah as someone else said, can't you just use those little plastic things instead? I always thought you weren't allowed jewellery because it is metal. So the plastic things should be ok I'd imagine.
  • Options
    i had to take my tongue bar out while i had my wisdom teeth out. 30 mins in surgery, 30 mins in recovery, 1 hour to properly wake up, then i tried to get it back in and there was no way it was going anywhere. i'd had it about 4 years.

i asked them if i could have one of the PFTE plastic ones in instead and they said no, but i was having surgery on my mouth, so if you weren't, they might agree?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i had to take my tongue bar out while i had my wisdom teeth out. 30 mins in surgery, 30 mins in recovery, 1 hour to properly wake up, then i tried to get it back in and there was no way it was going anywhere. i'd had it about 4 years.

i asked them if i could have one of the PFTE plastic ones in instead and they said no, but i was having surgery on my mouth, so if you weren't, they might agree?

Well they are sticking a tube down my throat. And I'll be having my wisdom teeth out within a few months depending on when I feel like contacting any of the oral surgeons around here. Gues its bound go happen to lose it. Thanks babe.
  • Options
    My piercings tend to close up in about half an hour - even my 14 year old lobe holes.

Ilora x