Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Chosing a pc/mac

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,
k- my parents said i could have a computer for christmas because they are fed up with me using the family one all the time and not letting anyone else on.
My first thought was to go for a laptop, maybe a powerbook, but then i saw the new imac g5 which is cheaper and faster and could be portable if i bought a flight case for it.
Basically, I really want to be able to run logic pro, a music software program that is only available on macs and takes a lot of power to run. However, Id really like a word processing program (preferably microsoft office, as id be able to use saved files on college computers etc...).
Also, I have a sony mp3 player that runs on sonic stage, which is currently unavailable for mac. Bummer.
I did think of downloading a ahem 'copy' of virtual pc to run sonic stage on xp, but i dont know whether it would recognise plugged in devices etc...
What are your views on using limewire etc... to get hold of programmes on the cheap?
And is the imac g5 that good? Iv got a budget of about a grand

Ta
Me

Comments

• Options
    Can't say I know too much about Macs, but my piece of advice is to not get a laptop, from the sounds of it, you won't be taking it anywhere. Plus you get more for your money with a PC anyway....
    And i'd have thought you'd be fine with a grand
  • Options
    Haven't got a G5 but I love my mac ... definitley glad I made the switch. Generally you'll find there's no problem switching files between pc and mac and you can get microsoft office for it as well (I ... 'borrowed' ... word from limewire).

As for your mp3 player i don't know but my first thought would be why not still use your family computer for that, surely wouldn't take enough time for them to get pissed off at you?
  • Options
    You can get open office 2 for free and that will edit word documents

If you think you'll be going off to Univeristy or something in the next few years I'd get a laptop - They're so powerful these days they'll run a lot of stuff and with firewire / USB 2 you can get an external Hard Drive for storing larger files.
  • Options
    its more a value for money thing. As im going to be doing a lot of music software stuff on it i think as silverberg says, you get more for your money on a desktop. Whats open office 2?
  • Options
    ok, my new imac g5 17" arrived yesterday, shame im not even allowed to look at it till christmas...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Smush wrote:
    ok, my new imac g5 12" arrived yesterday, shame im not even allowed to look at it till christmas...

Harsh!
  • Options
    Smush wrote:
    ok, my new imac g5 17" arrived yesterday, shame im not even allowed to look at it till christmas...

Ooh the torture! I have a first generation G5 iMac and it's my beautiful baby! I've lugged this thing around in a suitcase when I should have flogged it for cash- just couldnae let him go. He's done me proud. I don't use Word- MS? what's that? lol