Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i hate to bring an old debate up, but...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've been reading some stuff up on the whole fur thing, and saw that alot of animals that traps are not initially set out for still get caught in them and often die or bite their own limbs off
for those who are for the fur fashion does it bother you? I'm trying to move away from the actual animals used for the fur....i'm just curious if it bothers people that animals that could be considered pet animals and non target animals get caught up in the process?
just a thought....what do you think?

sorry im probably gonna get flamed :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    i dont wear fur, but i dont think it's fair that traps catch animals that they aren't aimed that. But, that said, i doubt this will change!!
  • Options
    Personally I can't see the difference between a trap catching the animal it was intended for; and a trap catching a potential pet/animal that wasn't being targeted? It's still catching an animal, and killing it in brutal circumstances (whether it's caught alive and then murdered or chews off its own limb(s) for freedom).

All in the name of "looking good", and that in itself is highly debatable.
  • Options
    i just wondered if people who say that fur isnt pointless killing still agreed that there is pointless killing involved
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i just wondered if people who say that fur isnt pointless killing still agreed that there is pointless killing involved

It would certainly be interesting to find out :)
  • Options
    To the people who are against fur, I wonder some things.

Do you wear leather?
    Do you eat steak?

If the answer is yes to either of those things, then you are a hypocrite to be against fur.

I am against many practices of the fur industry, if the PETA publicity is to be believed. I don't believe PETA most of the time, but inhumane treatment of animals is a disgrace.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with fur, any more than there is something wrong with the steak I had last night.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    To the people who are against fur, I wonder some things.

Do you wear leather?
    Do you eat steak?

No, and no.

A hell of a lot of animals are mistakenly caught in traps, referred to and treated as "trash" in the fur industry. The worst thing I ever read about trapping for fur is that beavers (and mink, too, if I remember rightly) are usually caught in a "drowning set" that pulls it under water. I dread to think how this was discovered, but apparently it can take up to 18 minutes for a beaver to drown in such a trap.

I'm probably coming across as some militant vegetarian (I try not to!)...I've always been very sensitive when it comes to animals, but I don't think I'm being ridiculous in finding it all disgusting. Especially when we no longer need fur loin cloths etc.
  • Options
    I'm not completely against wearing fur. Fur is the warmest thing you can wear- therefore, I don't mind that people in Russia for example kill animals for their fur. They need it. Fur for fashion is another thing entirely and I'm dead against it. It's not necessary, and the way the animals are killed is barbaric.

Guess I'm a hypocrite because I wear leather and eat steak. As long as the animal has been killed humanely, I will eat it's meat. The sad fact is I enjoy meat, and many animals do too. That's life. As for the leather, it's something productive to do with the hide of the cow that's killed for food, so why shouldn't I wear it? It's utterly different to murdering animals in a brutal way for a fashion fad.
  • Options
    If you're consistent then fair enough. I think you're wrong, but so long as you're not a hypocrite.

I have great concerns about some of the horror stories, if they are true. But being against the way animals are treated doesn't mean I'm against killing animals for food or clothing.

Most people wear leather shoes, so they should not be against fur.
  • Options
    Absolutely, and I haven't got a problem with anyone thinking I'm wrong. I'd like to think I'm on the sidelines in this matter and acknowledge other people's opinions. Still, whether we're for or against fur we're still agreed on the fact that the way the animals involved are treated has got to stop, aren't we?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Just think of all those poor little moles who went into making my moleskin trousers! ;)
    Weekender Offender