Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

camp america

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
anyone been? :) thinking about applying for a 'job' there next summer!!! looks fun!!

just want to see if anyone recommends it :)

thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Haven't done it myself, but almost all of my mates and loads of my cousins have. Though some went through a different organisation - Camp Counsellors USA.

I've only heard good things, about both.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Camp Counsellors USA.

There's a really obvious joke here but this site's smiley capability just doesn't stretch that far.
  • Options
    i sent off for information packs thinking i'd do it next year then i realised you have to fork out quite a bit of money. my ex boyfriends brother went, he loved it and is hoping to go next year! came back with a good tan, too.
  • Options
    ive heard that you dont get told where abouts in america youre going to be placed until you actually arrive at the destination airport. is this true??!!
    if it is then i think that sounds quite cool.. not knowing where youre going until the last minute :) ... unless you get put somewhere really cold and crappy :P
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    No that's not true at all. You will have correspondence with a specific camp before you go there.

I worked for a camp in 2001 - I really enjoyed it becasue I am really into outdoor activities and love kids - but at the same time it is very hard work for very poor money.

On the up side

The work can be rewarding
    You can meet some great people and possibly life long friends
    You may get to travel around the USA during or after camp
    It looks great on your CV
    its a great way to spend the summer (definitely not going to get bored)

On the downside

It can be incredibly exhausting and you often get few or no breaks on the days you work
    At times you can feel isolated - often camps are away from main towns
    You can inevitably meet some people you don't like and you are then stuck with them for a whole summer.
    You may get homesick

this is an example of a bad experience But as I said, overall I really enjoyed it and if I could go back in time, I would certainly do it again. Especially as some of the kids called me after camp and wrote me letters to tell me how much they enjoyed being in my group :D

To sum up - camp is not for the faint hearted and if you decide to do it my best advice is to embrace the experience whole heartedly