Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fluoxetine - knowledge welcome

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Doctor told me to take these - one 20mg pill a day. Some questions though:

1. I was on Citalopram previously. Is it really dangerous to take these two together? They work slowly so what is the problem? How about if I space the hours between them? (I will do anything to get better).

2. Does alcohol have much effect? (Fortified wine I'm thinking)

Thanks in advance. I hope any problems you have can be sorted, because I just feel terrible at the moment and 'seeing the light' is just impossible for me and I know for so many it can be tough. Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    your doctor should have advised you on how to taper off the citalopram and how and when to take the prozac.

drinking alcohol while taking ssri's is never recommended but if you do be aware it may make you feel drunk quicker.
  • Options
    When I switched from Fluoxetine to Citalopram, my doctor just told me to stop taking my Fluoxetine tablets and go straight on to Citalopram.

I don't think it would make much difference taking both of them than taking just one. I couldn't be sure though.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:

I don't think it would make much difference taking both of them than taking just one. I couldn't be sure though.

20mg of fluxo.. (spelling goes) is not alot, not even a mildly theraputic dose. You can take up to 80mg a day, (60mg if your over 65, which im aware your not) Obviously, it'll WORK at 20. But slowly. It'd depnd onyour docotrs orders really,depending now much of the other your taking (name forgotten sorry).

I can't ive you a professional answer but if that helps your judgement then it's OK. Id phone the docotr though.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    20mg of fluxo.. (spelling goes) is not alot, not even a mildly theraputic dose. You can take up to 80mg a day, (60mg if your over 65, which im aware your not) Obviously, it'll WORK at 20. But slowly. It'd depnd onyour docotrs orders really,depending now much of the other your taking (name forgotten sorry).

I can't ive you a professional answer but if that helps your judgement then it's OK. Id phone the docotr though.

20mg is the starting dose so your doctor is correct at starting you there if it's for depression, the higher doses are usually used as 'shock' treatments to realign habits in compulsive disorders such as bulimia and OCD. the maufacturers recommend you start at 20mg and increase slowly over a period of weeks, if necessary, to a MAXIMUM of 80mg.

Be aware that this stuff isn't really designed for long term use either but doctors seem to be giving thiss tuff out in boxes f six months doses at a time. I would also warn against getting drunk on them, there are planty of horror stories floating around t'internet about prozac and alcohol inducing psychotic episodes...
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    20mg of fluxo.. (spelling goes) is not alot, not even a mildly theraputic dose.

Er, yes it is. You are talking utter shit.
    I can't ive you a professional answer

Obviously.
    Id phone the docotr though.

Don't phone your doctor.

Go to your local pharmacy, and talk to the pharmacist. The pharmacist is the one with the drugs knowledge, and will in all likelihood give you a better answer than a doctor will.

Don't take the other drug alongside Fluoxetine.

Don't drink alcohol whilst taking them, or if you do, don't drink much.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Er, yes it is. You are talking utter shit.

I am actually talking from my own expeirnce as a carer for my mother. Not professional experience no. But I'd suggest you accept toher peoples experiences before dismissing them.

The fact that it is not a strong dose actually comes from a mental health nurse, who has told me this in order to look after her. So, perhaps a nicer tone would be appriciated.
  • Options
    It's not a strong dose, but to claim it is not a therapeutic dose is, quite frankly, utterly stupid.
  • Options
    I never said it wasnt dangerous. It's a drug. Of course it's dangerous.

And it's not what is classed (in our towns mental health system anyway) as a theraputic dose. It helps, obviously, otherwise it would be pointless, but on some doses it can calm the mind completely and change attitudes. 20mg, cannot or if it does, very very slightly. It all depends on the individuals needs.
  • Options
    Mmm. I wonder if I should take two a day then? (it is depression by the way).

I'm scared that I've run out of time and this my last throw of the dice.
  • Options
    I would suggest that whatever dose you go on, especially if you're unsure of the drug, that you stay in close contact with your GP. You are nt bugging them, and you have every right to see them at least once a week whilst you are on that stuff. I know it's usefull but I also think the stuff can have devistating side effects, or even just mild or confusing ones.
  • Options
    Don't take two a day. Going to a high dose right a way can give you harsh side effects. Do what your dr told you. Taking medicine into your own niave hands is plain stupid. Besides, if you take two a day, what happens when you run out? It will be a refill too soon and you won't be able to get them again until the remainder of the prescribed time is up.

And as for the alcohol, I've been on SSRI's since I was 8. I'm now 20 and I have a drink or so every single day. I have enver had an adverse effect with alcohol, nor has anybody else I know of.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    And it's not what is classed (in our towns mental health system anyway) as a theraputic dose. It helps, obviously, otherwise it would be pointless, but on some doses it can calm the mind completely and change attitudes. 20mg, cannot or if it does, very very slightly.
    :rolleyes:
    It all depends on the individuals needs.
    Well exactly.

As has already been said, don't take them both together unless your doctor has told you to do so, and avoid alcohol if you can.
  • Options
    2. Does alcohol have much effect? (Fortified wine I'm thinking)
    you'll get pissed much easier.
    - which can be a good / bad thing depending on how you look at it. :p
  • Options
    SSRI's arent addictive though.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    And it's not what is classed (in our towns mental health system anyway) as a theraputic dose.

You're talking shit and/or misunderstanding the different uses the drug has.