Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

£££ renting a property, etc...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm in student accomodation atm where what i pay on my rent includes more or less every other cost associated with living in the accomodation - except for internet and stuff like that.

but i was wondering, if i rented a property elsewhere; what do you have to pay for in order to live there, other than rent???

like someone i know was talking about "rates"... what are they? how much are they? etc

i guess what i'm trying to say (very inarticuatly) is... if rent was something like £*** / month - what other expenses go ontop of that to live there???

i hope that question makes sense?!!
cheers,
otter.

Comments

• Options
    Water, electricity, gas, telephone, TV licence, council tax etc.
  • Options
    how much about does that add upto then in a month?
    i know it would depend on property size and region... but on average for a small property / flat would you say...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    etc.
    yeah... what is the "etc" :blush:
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    yeah... what is the "etc" :blush:

et cetera.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    et cetera.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    If you're on your own in a smallish house, it could be up to £200 a month or so. Students don't pay council tax though, so that would halve it.

etc is any other outgoings you have.
  • Options
    household contents insurance would be an example. I pay mine monthly and it's £9. Depends on the crime where you live, wether you live in a neighbourhood watch area, have double locks/alarms/ouble glazing/ expensive items such as 'puters etc...
  • Options
    your gas and electric would depend on if you have central heating and gas cooking, and if so how many radiators in the house etc. Mine is £25 month for a dinky two bed mid terrace with central heating-6 radiators. Tis approx at the mo though, and wilil be adjusted according to exact readings from meter. If you're worried about these oayments you can get a pre pay meter fitted an top up with cards at the corner shop like you would a mobile phone. Tis cheaper to use direct debit for fixed amount though as you get a discount usually.

For telephone, depending on your call habits you can get really cheap line rental and then pay a fixed price for all landline calls in the month. These deals start at 10 for eve and weekend and go up to 20 for all inclusive 24/7, only landlines mind soo if all your friends have mobbies it ain't worth it.
  • Options
    Hellfire asked this a few months back, it has all the info you should need in that thread.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    your gas and electric would depend on if you have central heating and gas cooking, and if so how many radiators in the house etc. Mine is £25 month for a dinky two bed mid terrace with central heating-6 radiators. Tis approx at the mo though, and wilil be adjusted according to exact readings from meter. If you're worried about these oayments you can get a pre pay meter fitted an top up with cards at the corner shop like you would a mobile phone. Tis cheaper to use direct debit for fixed amount though as you get a discount usually.

For telephone, depending on your call habits you can get really cheap line rental and then pay a fixed price for all landline calls in the month. These deals start at 10 for eve and weekend and go up to 20 for all inclusive 24/7, only landlines mind soo if all your friends have mobbies it ain't worth it.

you have to have a phoneline for intenet if you want it, regardless of how many people in the house use the housephone

i always used to just pay the rental charges on my house bill, cause i never used anything but the masses of free minutes