Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BBC2 Series on Russia

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Well, who just saw it? First guy... can anyone say "Gangster" ? For those of you who don't know, a quick look on the web will probably be able to fill you in on various fraud allegations. He really is a bit of a shady guy.

But then... so is Putin himself. Anyhows, whats you opinion? I'd rather not support either - it'd be like a choice between the Taliban or the Iranian Capliphate... I don't want either.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Russian political power has always been dodgy, they have always been ruled and abused by suspect people and Putin isnt any different.

What is concerning about Putin is his rolling back of democracy, he has finished off all the independant media, he's imprisoned anyone who he doesnt like and of course he's upped the war in Chechnya.

But we buy oil and gas from him, so he's fine.
  • Options
    These people who are out to take control of the last 50% of Russia that i left are all business men who were supported by the dying Soviet Government and the Yeltsin Government. They run the show by keeping puppet presidents and politicians on the pay roll. As bad as Putin is and as completely obvious as his actions are, he is doing what he is doing to secure his own position in power and is no longer the puppet of these billionaire men.

I liked the show! I cant wait to see Roman Abramovic's episode!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    he is doing what he is doing to secure his own position in power and is no longer the puppet of these billionaire men.

Yeah, that one reason I can say respect to him, for telling the rich fat cats to get fucked.

Although, the outlawing of many opposition parties, and now charities/pressure groups from abroad is pretty bad. Also, Russian ones may only be set up with Kremlin permission!

I can't wait for the episode about the KGB man himself...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yeah, that one reason I can say respect to him, for telling the rich fat cats to get fucked.

Its just the 'fat cats' who disagree with him, there are still plenty of fat cats left. Putin is gradually removing democracy in Russia and we will do nothing about it.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its just the 'fat cats' who disagree with him, there are still plenty of fat cats left. Putin is gradually removing democracy in Russia and we will do nothing about it.

What should we do?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

And what exactally do you suggest we do? Putin is forming somekind of tyranny... and I doubt we have any power to oppose it.

I suppose we could assasinate him?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    What should we do?

I have absolutely no idea, there isnt any good things we could do, even if we wanted to, which the government obviously does not.

Sanctions? (he says knowing its a rubbish idea)
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I have absolutely no idea, there isnt any good things we could do, even if we wanted to, which the government obviously does not.

Sanctions? (he says knowing its a rubbish idea)

To be honest if there were good things to promote democracy, which had no knock-on effects, the Government probably would do them. if only because trade is simpler between democratic countries who don't sequester the assets of their political opponents and the UK remains a trading country.
  • Options
    putin is only following the example of bush.

what bush and his cronies have done to democracy ...can only have bad knock on effects the world over.