Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

speed camera

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when you drive down a road, if theres a sign saying that there are speed cameras on that road - do there have to be cameras there. I drive through an area everyday and have never seen 1 speed camera there!!!
dont worry, i dont speed just bcos i cant see the cameras! Stick to good old 30mph!

Comments

• Options
    Normally it means they send the mobile camera van up there occasionally. Of course when people don't see the camera they get complacent and carry on speeding. And that's where they make their money.
  • Options
    i know, i think they should be more hidden and not bright yellow!! they'de catch more people speeding that way!
  • Options
    i know, i think they should be more hidden and not bright yellow!! they'de catch more people speeding that way!

Perhaps, but then more people would be speeding...
  • Options
    They don't catch dangerous drivers though.
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Perhaps, but then more people would be speeding...

nah, i meant the same number of people speeding as now, just more would be caught, which would hopefully bring numbers down!
  • Options
    so you're telling me that you've never gone even 1 mile over the speed limit ever? cos drivers get fined even for that, which is a bit stupid imo

however, even more stupid is the fact of ambulance drivers getting speeding fines while on route to an emergency

tis just one huge money grabbing ploy i tells ya :yes:

never trust politicians!!!
  • Options

They are bright yellow cos they are usually placed in 'accident hotspots' to prevent speeding on dangerous bits of road.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    so you're telling me that you've never gone even 1 mile over the speed limit ever? cos drivers get fined even for that, which is a bit stupid imo

No you don't, there's a percentage + a few miles that you have to be over.
    however, even more stupid is the fact of ambulance drivers getting speeding fines while on route to an emergency

Yes, that is stupid, though i think that they are quashed most of the time.
    tis jsut one huge money grabbing ply i tells :yes:

I think it's either revenue neutral or generates a slight loss, can't remember which.
    never trust politicians!!!

Indeed.
  • Options
    ah :p

just spoil me mini rant why dontcha :p
  • Options
    its 10%+1, so for example in a 30limit you dont get flashed unless you're doing more than 34mph
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote:

No it's not. People shouldn't be going over the speed limit anyway.

And besides, speed cameras are usually in 'accident hotspots' as dizzy blonde babe said, which means it's even more important that people don't go over the limit.

As someone who was involved in a serious accident because of a speeding driver, I can't stand people who break the limit.

And I hate it when people go on about 'oh yeah I'm so bad, I speed all the time' like it's something to be proud of or makes them cool. Do your rebelling somewhere where it's not going to put other people in danger.
  • Options
    totally agree with you lisa simpsons saxophone - why dice with death?? i know its daft, but even 1 mph could make a difference if you had to brake for another car, a person, or if someone hit you!
  • Options
    oh blah
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Driving fast doesn't automatically equate to dangerous driving.

The speed limits on many roads are severely out of date.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'll speed on the motorway, but not on other roads and especially not in the town. On the motorway you're almost expected to speed just to keep up with the middle lane though so that's ok (imho)
  • Options
    I just remember a friend of mine who always used to be one of those boys who's really proud of his car and loves driving all the time and won't talk about anything else. He was always going on about how he drives really fast and acting like that was really cool thing to do.

Then one day he had a crash and when his girlfriend told me about it she said 'it's not his fault, he wasn't going that fast, his brakes just locked out'. It eventually came out that he'd been doing about 34mph, in the rain, down a hill, and hadn't been able to stop quickly enough at the bottom without locking his brakes out. So he ended up flying out onto a busy road and causing a 3 car pile-up. He's probably lucky to be alive. And I felt so incredibly sorry for him, but couldn't help thinking to myself 'I bet you'll never think speeding's funny again now'.
  • Options
    i hope he's learnt his lesson! It isnt just about knowing the speed limit, its knowning what speeds appropraite for that road surface, layout and weather conditions!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kentish wrote:
    They don't catch dangerous drivers though.
    Which is the real problem.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    Ambulances (and police and fire engines) are only allowed to break the speed limit and drive through red lights when it is safe to do so and when the call warrants it. Ambulances always drive to a call with "blues and twos" but on the way back to hospital usually drive without the lights flashing and sirens blaring - which, incidentally, is why you should get out of the way if you see one with its lights going because the patient in the back is probably very seriously ill. If an ambulance is caught speeding and the driver cannot justify the speed, the driver is rightly prosecuted. They are heavy vehicles and without the lights and sirens on, they are just as likely to be involved in an accident as any other vehicle. Same goes for marked police cars.