Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reviewers needed for Irish rock n roll outfit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board, please help me out. We're called The Shakes and we just did a version of our song SHINE with live drums rather than programmed, its still not a full mix and the vox are demos, i think i prefer the live newer version but we as a group cannot make up our minds..... opinions anybody?

NEW VERSION

OLD VERSION
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey guys, for those of you who thought it was, this isn't really spam. They're not trying to sell anything, they are just looking for opinions, and ultimately advice about their music which isn't breaking any rules.
  • Options
    Thanks Helen, wouldn't dream of spamming! Just want to know if people like our music!
  • Options
    It's quite good, didn't blow me away or nothing.

7/10
  • Options
    Please take the following as constructive criticism.

You really sound like every other indie-revival band out there. The huge virtuosity of playing two chords over again does get very boring. It's got a good beat and it sounds like you've been listening to some old Jam records.

Guitar(s) - I like the octave modulations but again, after 3 minutes, it does get a little boring. Perhaps a bit of palm-muting and try to incorporate some more arpeggio-based modulation to give it a more alive and a more whole feel and make it appear less that it's been based around two chords which sadly, it appears it has been.

Bass - can't hear. As a bassist this is sad to hear but I think the mixing needs to be worked on. Good bass mixing really stands out.

Drums - good initial beat. One of the few redeeming features was the good beat but again, this could be fleshed out a bit. Remember, a simply change of drum beat, even as simple as making the beat 1/2 speed or double speed can add a whole new dimension to the song.

Vocals - can't really hear over the guitar and drums. Lyrically I guess it's fine but I'm not a good lyricist.

Overall, I guess mixing the primary issue if you want to get what you already have sounding as good as possible. However, I seriously think that fleshing out the guitar part(s) may be the difference at the end of the day. Even some simply chord changes could add a whole new dimension to the song.

Best of luck with it.
  • Options
    I disagree that we sound like every other indie rock band out there. Thanks for taking the time to listen though and post your thoughts. They have been noted if not agreed with! It works for us, hope some other people like it.
  • Options
    I quite liked it ... I thought the bass was a little too distorted and fuzzy through parts though... what distortion is he/she using just out of interest?

maybe you could try putting a clean bass track over parts of the song to water down the buzz/fuzz sound but still keep some of the effect? I think it works well at the start maybe not just all the way through.
  • Options
    Patistuta wrote:
    They have been noted if not agreed with!

Well that's the whole point of a review now isn't it!

For once, I am amazed to find myself in agreement with muse-. Thing is, because the bass operates at a much lower frequency, it's harder to pick up and distorting it makes it even harder. Personally, as a bass player, I think the bass should be as clean as possible. You can listen to the heaviest music in the world and still find that the bass is as clean as can be. Just my preference but the only band I've ever heard that have pulled off bass distortion well is Primus.

At a guess, I'd say it sounds like the white Boss bass overdrive pedal. The bass player for the band I play guitar for has one and it sounds crap.
  • Options
    Dunno what pedal he was using, but I agree. We said at the time that we didn't like that fuzzy sound but the producer wouldn't listen! More music from The Shakes here:

www.theshakesrule.com