Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cold calling question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I heard that it is illegal for someone to cold call you after 7pm at night in your home, is this true?

My actual question is this though, if that was true, would the same apply to cold callers who telephone you, or the automated systems they use to do it?

:)

Comments

• Options
    Richeh wrote:
    I heard that it is illegal for someone to cold call you after 7pm at night in your home, is this true?

My actual question is this though, if that was true, would the same apply to cold callers who telephone you, or the automated systems they use to do it?

:)

Dunno. But it should be illegal all the time.
  • Options
    I heard that the automated ones are illegal but you can add your number to the Telephone Preference Service to avoid getting cold calls.

And the 7 o'clock rule is probably an industry guideline rather than law, but I don't know for sure.
  • Options
    Hate those people who phone up and say (from what I can understand because they never speak English) "Hello, I am phoning on behalf of the mobile phone outlet, do you currently use a mobile phone............?"

YOUR FRICKING RINING ME ON MY MOBILE WHAT DO YOU THINK?!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Cold Calling is one situation where I beleive the death penalty is legitimate.
  • Options
    I don't think its illegal, in my (incredibly brief) stint as a call centre worker we called up until 9pm.
  • Options
    On a similar note, can you add your mobile phone number to a similar service to the TPS for landlines to stop getting cold calls on your mobile? Or would that be done by calling your network and getting them to do something to stop them.
  • Options
    it isn't... actually alot of cold calling happens between 6-9.30 for certain companies as people are home from work at that time,

friend of mine at college use to work for kitchens direct cold calling and he worked till 9.30 so i guess there is no law.
  • Options
    Richeh wrote:
    On a similar note, can you add your mobile phone number to a similar service to the TPS for landlines to stop getting cold calls on your mobile? Or would that be done by calling your network and getting them to do something to stop them.

If you scroll down on the link given it mentions that you can add your mobile to the tps register thingy.
  • Options
    What annoys me too is those 'courtesy calls' - they used to phone up in the middle of the day and say 'this is a courtesy call from BMW, is [My Dad] there?' I used to say 'well he's just bought a BMW off you, do you really think he sits on his arse at home all day?'

They never learned, though. How many people do they actually find sitting at home on a working day, though?
  • Options
    I hung up on a cold caller yesterday - Had a train to catch and didn't have time to be polite.
  • Options
    There really is next to no solid rules on it at all, there are guidelines they are asked to follow.

And of course if they are phoning from abroad there are no rules at all. Which is why the TPS is only a slight improvement because lots of companies are just out sourcing it to companies over seas.
  • Options
    I hung up on a cold caller yesterday - Had a train to catch and didn't have time to be polite.

I hang up on all cold callers. If they're so impolite to call me then I think it's only fair to be impolite back.

Or another thing. If you've got the time sit and listen to there speel. And then get them all excited in thinking that they're gonna get a sale and then pull out at the last second. You can almost feel the desperation down the line as you hang up to there

"But Sir what if I was to knock another 10%..."

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
  • Options
    Most of them arent allowed to hang up on you, so some people I know say 'I'd love to, just wait a second' then walk off and leave them there for ages.
  • Options
    Normally, I let them say 'Hi, Sir, how are you today' and then I tell them to cut the crap and give them the hard sell. That normally really throws them and most of them can't sell for shit. Then I hang up.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    My sister bf uses cold calling to sell milk rounds. He works up until 9 in the evening.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    My sister bf uses cold calling to sell milk rounds. He works up until 9 in the evening.

Including the milk floats? :hyper:

Do they still have those funny electric ones?
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Including the milk floats? :hyper:

Do they still have those funny electric ones?

They do around my area.
  • Options
    I hate the ones who are actually deceptive about it. I think it's Communications Direct who always call you on your mobile and say 'Hello, I'm calling with regards to your O2 contract' or something so that you get fooled into thinking they're from your phone company. You can actually hear them squirming when you eventually cotton on and say 'hang on... are you actually FROM O2?'. They always go 'well no not exactly but this deal is great anyway!'

I nearly fell for one of them, until he starting asking for all my details. Then I hung up, and he left me a voicemail saying 'I'll call back tomorrow, could you just make sure you have your credit card details handy when I do?'

Unsurprisingly, I didn't pick up the phone for that number again.
  • Options
    I don't like then as it is but it really fucks me off when they won't take no for an answer. Thats when i hang up!
  • Options
    For some reason 99% of cold callers, even those who speak english as a language, cannot pronounce our surname so my dad, and sometimes myself have taken to listen to them say " Hello can i speak to mr *struggles to say name " " to which we reply " No sorry no one of that name lives here" and you immediatly know they're like " Oh shit " Ah hell its funny.

Sometimes if i can be bothered i play games with them but the ones who just keep at it, nah they can go to hell. If i say no i mean no and you must accept it, mate.