Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

irresponsibility of mps in attendance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i can name 2 or 3 bill this year which would never have gone through parliament if a few more mps showed up - one of the votes on the terroism bill wouldnt have gone through if mr galloway had turned up, instead he was doing a talk somewhere braggin about himself, or if mr charles kennedy turned up

disgraceful behaviour indeed, but what can we do

Comments

• Options
    i can name 2 or 3 bill this year which would never have gone through parliament if a few more mps showed up - one of the votes on the terroism bill wouldnt have gone through if mr galloway had turned up, instead he was doing a talk somewhere braggin about himself, or if mr charles kennedy turned up

disgraceful behaviour indeed, but what can we do

It really is a shame they can't be fired for non-attendance (without sick note :p).
    Or can they?
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    It really is a shame they can't be fired for non-attendance (without sick note :p).
    Or can they?

You can do at elections. And its a damn good job that short of jail or bankruptcy that the only way to remove MPs is via the ballot-box
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    You can do at elections. And its a damn good job that short of jail or bankruptcy that the only way to remove MPs is via the ballot-box

but your opinion is competing against the people who think "oooh he seemed nice and promised me more money"
  • Options
    but your opinion is competing against the people who think "oooh he seemed nice and promised me more money"

Does that matter? Why is your opinion more important than theirs.

They want him to represent them and so there vote should count just as much as yours. Perhaps they think he is nice and promised them more money because he spent a lot of time dealing with constituency matters such as dealing with a screw up in benefit - rather than speaking in the House.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Does that matter? Why is your opinion more important than theirs.

They want him to represent them and so there vote should count just as much as yours. Perhaps they think he is nice and promised them more money because he spent a lot of time dealing with constituency matters such as dealing with a screw up in benefit - rather than speaking in the House.

yeh i know, it would be good if that is the case, my local mp is the crappest mp ever but people vote for him because "i cant be bothered to change"

what i meant is theres more people who base their views on the odd spinned statements on the news, than what the meat of the policy contains, i understand its dull however its important at the same time

theres only one way to unseat a stable candidate/party, this man said it all....
    homer.jpg
    can't someone else do it
  • Options
    If you can get to be an MP you can technically do nothing for 4 years and still get paid a really nice wage.

You cant get them to vote on every issue, they would have to live in the House and they'd never get local things done.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If you can get to be an MP you can technically do nothing for 4 years and still get paid a really nice wage.

You cant get them to vote on every issue, they would have to live in the House and they'd never get local things done.

however on important bills where its a close call, the opposition could of beaten the government if their leaders showed up

in the case of galloway, his national publicity tour was too important apparantly
  • Options
    yeh i know, it would be good if that is the case, my local mp is the crappest mp ever but people vote for him because "i cant be bothered to change"

what i meant is theres more people who base their views on the odd spinned statements on the news, than what the meat of the policy contains, i understand its dull however its important at the same time

theres only one way to unseat a stable candidate/party, this man said it all....
    homer.jpg
    can't someone else do it

Do you know that's why they vote for him? after all if you can be bothered to walk to a polling booth its not difficult to shift your pencil that extra half inch. Or is more likely they either think he's doing a good job or that the party he belongs to most effectively represents their views.
  • Options
    George Galloway is such a twat!

Thats all i have to say on this really.