Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Girls-Do you accept drinks bought for you on nights out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wasn't sure where to put this so it may be moved.

Reading a number of articles which had advice from women in them, they say one of the best ways to get with them or impressive them on a night out is to buy a drink for them.

Yesterday on the news, in a story about date rape, the woman expert says not to accept drinks from strangers on a night out.

So we have two different views here.

What I ask is, ladies, do you accept or would accept a guy buying you a drink on a night out? Do you think he just fancies you or would suspect him of spiking your drink?

Comments

• Options
    i used to when I was younger, but I wouldnt these days, but then again, noone offers these days.
  • Options
    Now I'm no lady that's for sure... but if you're both standing at the bar and the girl gets the drink straight from the bar keep then I guess it's OK.
  • Options
    indeed. I mean. I'm not one for pulling in clubs and bars, coz I just get shy and stuff and don't chat girls up in those places. I wouldnt wanna buy a girl a drink if she thought I was up 2 something, so I'm trying to figure out a way that shows a girl I haven't met before I like her and want to talk to her, but that I'm not some perverse fiend that will rape her or summat.

I did wonder if girls actually took the advice of not accepting drinks. Of course there are some that go out and don't pay for drinks becuase they get all theres bought for them by guys. I wonder how they feel on it.
  • Options
    I used to, but not anymore. Plus I don't drink nowadays anyway.
  • Options
    so offering to buy a drink is a bad idea? I get that and agree, though it was oonly recently I read an article about these women who said they always have guys they don't know buy there drinks so unfortaunately some girls still do.
  • Options
    A lot of guys will buy a woman a drink and then think she owes them something.
  • Options
    It's a bad idea.

Much better to let them buy you one.
  • Options
    I have accepted drinks of strangers in nightclubs. But these days when I do, I usually go to the bar with them so the drink comes straight from the bar man, to my hands, if ya get me.

Be cautious yes, but be careful not to judge so quickly that all guys want to spike your drink, just cause they offer to buy you one.
  • Options
    its good to see not everyone is scared by this horrible phenomana. I agree, if I was a girl I'd go to the bar with them so you can get ti straight from the bar man.
  • Options
    What doofus would accept?!
  • Options
    :lol: why buy them the drink to pull them when you could just give them the money for the end act :lol:

/sarcasm

go to the bar with them and buy them the drink so they can trust you :)
  • Options
    I'm far too skint and hardly offer people drinks, nevermind strangers lol.

Though no harm accepting them as long as your at the bar aswell as Cruel said.

Back in the day I wouldn't have minded if it got spiked, extra buzz if ya know what I mean :D
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Back in the day I wouldn't have minded if it got spiked, extra buzz if ya know what I mean :D

My flatmate once told me about this guy his dad knew, apparently he'd go to a bar and buy two drinks, putting one of them at one end of the bar and then he'd go to the other end of the bar. Then he'd come back to his other pint after a while in the hope that it had been spiked. Apparently he had problems...
  • Options
    Hollyoaks late night shows, is doing this story at the moment with the serial rapist/drink spiker andy!
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    its good to see not everyone is scared by this horrible phenomana. I agree, if I was a girl I'd go to the bar with them so you can get ti straight from the bar man.

I've only let people I know buy me drinks, but if someone did offer and we where at the bar, thus I would get the drink straight from the bar man I don't see the problem, but others wise no.
  • Options
    Was talking to a friend of mine about this yesterday. She told me that when she's out with friends, they all buy their drinks in bottles and don't accept drinks from anyone. (Even the people they're out with)
  • Options
    It's no big deal, imo. On the rare occasions it happens I usually accept, and then buy them their next drink.

If I didn't accept, it'd probably be more out of embarassment than fear of it being spiked.
  • Options
    I let my mate's mate buy me a drink but he gave me the money and I went to the bar (I didn't really know him)
  • Options
    spiking a drink when i were a lad was known as copping a micky fin ...or summat like that ...thing is ...it only happened in the movies ...to spys or in serious robberies.
    in the sixties there were a few reports of jewlers shops having their milk on the doorstep injected with lsad ...the injecters knowing what time they would have a brew.
    leave it an hour and then rob the place in funny masks.
    worked for a few but never realy took off as the whole thing was to uncertain.

BUT v...having to be worried ...whilst out trying to relax and have a good time ...is seriously bad news.
    not in my daay.
    and no ...i don't blame those fucking magazines!
  • Options
    i accept drinks. but i usually go to the bar with them to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    I let my mate's mate buy me a drink but he gave me the money and I went to the bar (I didn't really know him)
    :lol: Charming.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :lol: Charming.

Who said chivalry was dead...
  • Options
    id only accept a drink if i was there with them at the bar when they got it i think..

although i DID accept a drink off a guy on saturday and that wasnt the case...
    oh well
  • Options
    lol. It reckons most people would say not or only if they accompened them but then in the heat of the night I reckon many forget.