Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vegatarian

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering if anybody has any tips on how to go vegetarian?

I'm considering it for my own reasons, but don't wanna get ill.

I also don't know any nice veggie meals to cook, any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Just eat meat, it's a safer way of living.
  • Options
    I haven't got much advice but I really don't reccomend Quorn. Linda McCartney sausages are nice though. :D
  • Options
    Safer? One of the things I like about it is the lower risk of food poisining from undercooked meat! At least veggies don't do much to you.
    Moonrat: have a look at some student veggie cookbooks, they have some good ideas.
    My favourites: Chicken tonight Spanish chicken sauce (don't laugh it IS veggie!) with Quorn meatballs (oxy-moron much!) and some veg like peppers sweetcorn carrot mushrooms etc
    Also some stuff that I posted in your thesite cookbook thread.
    Veggie rule!
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    I haven't got much advice but I really don't reccomend Quorn.

Why not? I think Quorn is quite nice :)
  • Options
    Why not? I think Quorn is quite nice :)

It just has no taste.. and hardly any sustance..
  • Options
    The mince, chicken bits and meatballs are nice, because you can put sauces on them and stuff. I don't like their burgers, nuggets, sausages etc though.
    I really don't like Linda McCartney :yuck:
    Best stuff I've found is Tesco own frozen stuff in the green boxes, and Cauldron foods but thats a bit more expensive. Yummy though. I like the sausages, cut them in half and put wholegrain mustard on them, yum!
  • Options
    Safer? One of the things I like about it is the lower risk of food poisining from undercooked meat! At least veggies don't do much to you.
    Moonrat: have a look at some student veggie cookbooks, they have some good ideas.
    My favourites: Chicken tonight Spanish chicken sauce (don't laugh it IS veggie!) with Quorn meatballs (oxy-moron much!) and some veg like peppers sweetcorn carrot mushrooms etc
    Also some stuff that I posted in your thesite cookbook thread.
    Veggie rule!

I was only joking.

But seriously, can't beat a good steak. :yum:
  • Options
    Well I've been considering the change because of deforestation forcattle in South America, but a lot of forests are also cut down for Quorn and soya...

But then again, I'm sure even more fields would be made of grainto feed the cows too.
  • Options
    tesco's own frozen veggie sausages :yum: i love the taste of sausages (am not veggie, but eat a lot of veggie foods) but hate the reality of all the ming meat bits. so i buy these and they taste really nice. plue you can cook them from frozen. woo yay. cauldron lincolnshire sausages are also tasty :thumb:

i like the texture of quorn, but it does need sauce to avoid tasting like wet cardboard.
  • Options
    Well I've been considering the change because of deforestation forcattle in South America, but a lot of forests are also cut down for Quorn and soya...

But then again, I'm sure even more fields would be made of grainto feed the cows too.

The amazon is deforested for many other reasons aswell.

Also, the amazon will still be deforested regardless if you go off meat so might aswell take advantage of the situation.
  • Options
    The mince, chicken bits and meatballs are nice, because you can put sauces on them and stuff. I don't like their burgers, nuggets, sausages etc though.
    I really don't like Linda McCartney :yuck:
    Best stuff I've found is Tesco own frozen stuff in the green boxes, and Cauldron foods but thats a bit more expensive. Yummy though. I like the sausages, cut them in half and put wholegrain mustard on them, yum!

The Cauldron stuff is definitely worth the bit extra - I love the black bean burgers, and the sausages are yum! They do a chickpea paste too, which I love on toast. Most biggish supermarkets stock their products in the Organic section. Agree about Tesco green-box stuff too, which is great...and they seem to have expanded their range every time I go shopping!

I tend to make mince dishes with Realeat Soya Mince, it makes really good chilli, shepherd's pie, bolognese etc.

Recently I've started cooking with Quinoa and Bulgar Wheat, but it's taken me a few goes to get anything particularly appealing. There are a million-and-one website with the whole range of recipes, though. I tend to go for the simplest ones ;) Most meat-based meals are usually easily adapted to being meat-free. Best examples are things like lasagne, which I've found you can make wonderfully with either slices of aubergine, or spinach and mushrooms. I think aubergine and mushroom are often cited as good replacements for meat in meals...as they have a lot of substance to them in a way not a lot of other veg does. My most common meals are lasagnes, chilli, risottos (which are nicer without meat/fish, imo), potato/veg gratins, pasta bakes and what is probably the staple of my diet - the jacket potato :lol:

I didn't find it difficult at all to go Veggie, but I guess I never ate that much meat in the first place. I always make sure to eat plenty of fruit and veg (i.e. not just the frozen veggie meal options...although it is tempting) and especially things like spinach. If you like nuts (which I don't) it's recommended that you eat them to give you more essential vitamins and protein of course.
  • Options
    but a lot of forests are also cut down for Quorn and soya...

quorn's a type of fungus that's grown in big vats, you're probably safe in the knowledge that you dont need to cut down forest for room for it to grow :)

there's nothing wrong with being a vege, it's pretty easy :thumb:

just miss out the meat in whatever you cook usually to begin with (or substitute it with vegemince or the like), nut burgers are nice too :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I'm sure you can be healthy just eating rabbit food, but it seems to me most veggies arn't, 90% of the veggies I meet are always a but pasty and skinny.

Still each to their own. As long as they don't harp on to me about how cruel it is to eat animals.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Still each to their own. As long as they don't harp on to me about how cruel it is to eat animals.

Yeh totally. I can't militant vegetarians like Morrisey who try and force their views down your throat (excuse the pun)
  • Options
    quorn bramley apple sausages are yummy, as are their southern fried "chicken style" burgers if youre clamouring for the meat taste without the ethical dilemma.
    I actually find it easier to cook veggie than meat, because i was brought up that way.
    Dont make the mistake of trying to just substitute meat for substitutes, You need to learn t cook properly otherwise otherwise u just end up living off processed food and thats bad.
  • Options
    Vegetable ratatouille or cassoulet is always nice in winter. And I often chop up lots of peppers, courgettes, aubergines, mushrooms etc, pour some olive oil over the top and add some pepper; bung it in the oven until they start to braise and roast and that's yummy too....

But a warning for you - you'll get very used to this - people ALL have the same reaction when you tell them you're vegetarian. They'll sit there and look interested, and ask you your reasoning as if they just want to know. And THEN they'll tell you why your reasons are rubbish, that it's better to eat meat and that vegetarians never have an adequate reason to be that way. EVERYONE will do it and it will get very old very quickly. I decded to go veggie when I was 5 and I've had 13 years of the SAME discussion.....

Meat-eaters have the problem of vegetarians who preach, but by God do we have the same problem reversed!!
  • Options

I have similar concerns, though not so specific about the rainforest, the meat food chain is deeply disturbing if you look into it.

My advice would be to source your meat from places you know actually give a toss about the animal and the enviroment. It maybe a little more expencive but it will taste better and you wont be buggering the enviroment in the process.

Waitrose for example dont sell any fish which isnt sustainable, unlike the other supermarkets which are busy taking industrial vacumes to the ocean.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    90% of the veggies I meet are always a bit pasty and skinny.
    :D not me! I'm fat'n'happy!
  • Options
    :D not me! I'm fat'n'happy!

Same here :)

Just eat what you normally eat but substitute the meat for fake meat, make sure you include nuts in your diet if you don't already and eat plenty of green veg for iron. Then get mardy when people suggest you are lacking in iron just because you are vegetarian and ignore you when you say you have just given blood and they make sure you have enough iron. I hate that.
  • Options
    my step-mother to be is a vegetarian but just doesn't eat red meat. how strange.
  • Options
    my step-mother to be is a vegetarian but just doesn't eat red meat. how strange.

Well then she's not a vegetarian then :p I don't eat red meat just chicken and fish, but i wouldn't say i was a vegetarian, i can just about cope with eatiing chicken but not cows and stuff (ha weird i know ;p)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    EEP!

How can anyone live without suculent, tasty, meat?