Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

chemicle straightening

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does chemicle straightening make your hair stick straight like my flat iron does? Or does it just help. I have extremly fuzzy puffy curly hair. I think that if it just "helped" it would be pointless to me. Any experiences on this? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    i heard it really damages your hair, makes it weak etc
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:
    i heard it really damages your hair, makes it weak etc

yeah, although it obviously lasts longer than conventional straightening , I am unsure as to whether it is worth it long term
  • Options
    yeah, my straighteners go up to 230 degrees, thats higher than ghd's.

still not good but better than chemicals
  • Options
    The thinng is, I like my hair straight, and it gets that way perfectly with my iron. if the chemicle won't do that much of a difference and i have to end up straightening it anyways, whats the point.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I have only come across one oerson who had the Yuko hair straightening method, and her hair was really poker strainght for ages. Her original hair was quite soft flyaway ringlets that were quite frizzy...
  • Options
    i had my hair chemically straigtened professionally 4 years ago. I would NEVER get it done again or recommend anyone to get it done unless it was that new chinese menthod (forget the name) but i would never pay that much to get it done anywayz. I just use a straightening iron and just dont wash my hair for a few days, that way im ot putting so much damage on it by straightening it everyday, unless your hair gets oily easily, but I mean theres also hair powder u can just put around the roots, until your next washing. I was my hair every 3-4 days, i try to go as long as I can cause the shampoo strips the natural conditioning oils of the hairs shaft, and since ive been doing that my hair has been super healthy and it grows a lot faster. :thumb:
  • Options
    i had my hair chemically straigtened professionally 4 years ago. I would NEVER get it done again or recommend anyone to get it done unless it was that new chinese menthod (forget the name) :

I think its Yuko
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Mabe I shall not get it done. It takes me 45 minutes to straighten it every time. Even though my hair doesn't get oily I could never stand not to wash it every day :(

Thanks for the name Yuko straightening, I shall look into that also.
  • Options
    make sure you tell your hairdresser next time you get it cut, i have mine thinned out as its naturally thick and it takes half the time to straighten nowadays.

Yeah and make sure you use shampoo and conditioner, and dry your hair straight with a hair dryer
  • Options
    It is already thinned out. Also, the whole blow drying your hair straight does not work for me either. When I do it, it ends up as a fuzzy afro. When my stylist does it, same thing, only slightly better. I'm just too lazy and do not have the time to straighten it every day and I wanted a different solutionn :p I also condition it every time, once a week use one of those hardcore weekly treatments, besodes the fact that it falls out and looks bad, it is extremly healthy hair. Most people are shocked when they find out how healthy it actually is. It is just naturally frizzy, naturally out of control bad looking. Always has been.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    It is already thinned out. Also, the whole blow drying your hair straight does not work for me either. When I do it, it ends up as a fuzzy afro. When my stylist does it, same thing, only slightly better. I'm just too lazy and do not have the time to straighten it every day and I wanted a different solutionn :p I also condition it every time, once a week use one of those hardcore weekly treatments, besodes the fact that it falls out and looks bad, it is extremly healthy hair. Most people are shocked when they find out how healthy it actually is. It is just naturally frizzy, naturally out of control bad looking. Always has been.

i see what your saying.. maybe just try getting your hair cut to a short lenth, in like layers or something, either way u could like use styling products to volumise it, also, it would be easier to straighten as well. I really like the who bob on like a slant cut. I think it frames the face perfectly. I dunno, just some options for ya hun:)
  • Options
    I had my hair chemically straightened a few years ago (I was growing out a perm) and my hair was okay afterwards not dry or damaged or anything but I suppose it depends on what you're hair was like before.
  • Options
    I know things are different and such, but as a general rule about how much does a straightening cost? How much for the Yuko thing?
  • Options
    lol, 4000 here where i live for my length hair, which is pretty long, middle of my back
  • Options
    I know someone who had their hair chemically straightened, and tbh, it looked awful. It was poker straight all the time, permanently. I'm sure it didn't help that she had a bowl cut lol.

I don't see the point in chemical straightening - because, if you've got naturally curly/frizzy hair, after a few weeks, you'll end up with an inch of frizzy roots, and the rest poker straight. yuck.

Ilora x