Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Date Rape

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if this is the right area for this, but here goes.

Date rape - I know there's a page or two on this on TheSite - but I just wondered what you lot think too...are you worried about it? It doesn't really bother me, cause it doesn't seem to happen that often, but then there's that nagging worry....what do you do to protect yourself? Are there organisations in your area that help to prevent this kind of thing happening? Do you feel safe in clubs/bars? Do any of you use these devices to cover your drinks when you're dancing etc (Spikey etc - I foudn it on the net if you don't know what I'm talking about)

Comments

• Options
    I've got some of them but I haven't used them yet.
    Data capture much.
  • Options
    Look after your drink

Look after your mates

Dont get falling down and passing out drunk

And if you think you've been dosed save some urine
  • Options
    I wasn't worried...until I took a first aid course a couple of weeks ago! My first aid tutor told us that there is date rape happening in this area! Worse than that, there are two types being used, one that causes the usual effects that i'm sure we all know about and another type that leaves women infertile!!! I think this is a much more widespread problem than I could have imagined and it does make me worried to go out to nightclubs :nervous:
  • Options
    There are no drugs that I know of which you could use for date rape which would leave a woman infertile, its an urban myth.
  • Options
    Im probably a bit more wary than most as I have a friend who was a victim of it. Unfortunately I think it is a lot more prevalent than we realise as a society. Bongbudda's advice was exactly right. I never go out with people that I dont trust, ie to keep an eye out on me or each other, or without having definite arrangements to get home. Unfortunately in my last year at university this was to the detriment of my social life as not everyone else has the same considerations, but if it has kept me safe then it is a small price to pay.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    There are no drugs that I know of which you could use for date rape which would leave a woman infertile, its an urban myth.

Yeah I also think this is an urban myth, I got a chain email about it but it sounded like crap to me.

I always go out with mates who know I am in a serious relationship and so they would not just let me go off with some guy. Always keep my drink with me, if its a bottle I walk around with my finger in the top of the bottle so nothing can be slipped in. Never accept drinks from strangers, always make sure I can see the bar person pouring my drink etc.

If I were the kind of person that flirted and went home with guys a lot, got drinks bought for me etc. then I would be a lot more worried about it than I currently am, as my friends might think it was more normal behaviour for me to disappear with someone. However me and my friends always keep an eye on each other and look out for each other, so I feel relatively safe that it wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

This is what the First Aider told the group and she works with paramedics on a regular basis, maybe she is wrong but this is what she told us and I would be highly inclined to believe her, she did tell us the names of both types of drug but I can't for the life of me remember what they are called! I will try and find out for you though.
  • Options
    I am willing to be proven wrong, but given all the research and lab tests I have seen there are no drugs used which could do this.

The most common is alcohol, then benzo's (and related), then a handful of things like GHB, Ketamine, other sedatives and occasionaly ecstasy or cocaine.
  • Options
    Yeah you are probably right, I'm only spouting what i've been told and have no hard evidence to back that up, I will have a look this evening a see if I can find the name of the drug she was refering to :)
  • Options
    There's also drug-spiked cigarettes too...
  • Options
    The 'infertility' drug Progesterex? Not true, a la snopes
  • Options
    There's also drug-spiked cigarettes too...

No, that's just an article in a rubbish news paper.
  • Options
    a few of my friends have been spiked but they were taken home before anything could happen with a guy. it's quite scary to think about but i usually go out in big groups so if i was to become ill someone would take me home.

i saw a while ago on tv about this stick that could test for substances int he drink. surely that could be incorporated into a straw or something?
  • Options
    I've heard of those too - they're going to make them into some sort of stirrer for your drink.

As for the spiked cigarette, what about this story? BBC: Cigarette alert after 'date-rape'
  • Options
    I've heard of those too - they're going to make them into some sort of stirrer for your drink.

As for the spiked cigarette, what about this story? BBC: Cigarette alert after 'date-rape'

Something like that wouldnt last anywhere near long enough for a rape to take place, especially in a bar.

"Mr Smith said the effects of smoking the drug-soaked cigarette were short-lived.

However, it was possible a woman might accept a spiked drink from a stranger under the temporary influence of a drugged cigarette. "

Says the story.
  • Options
    True enough.
  • Options
    clubbing isn't my thing and i don't think it'll ever appeal to me
    however if im ever at some sort of party i'll look after my drink and never get so sloshed i cant stand up
  • Options
    I never really gave two shits about it until some fucking cunt tried to do it to Mrs. T in Bristol. You could definitely tell that something was up. We'd both had a couple of drinks but it was as if she'd had an entire bottle of vodka and 10 spliffs. However, it was only her body and memory that was affected. She could talk perfectly well and was coherent until I got her back home.

If I ever get my hands on that son of a bitch, he's gonna wish he'd never been born.
  • Options
    I've taken GHB quite a few times, quite good, mix it with alcohol and thats where the problems start.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I've taken GHB quite a few times, quite good, mix it with alcohol and thats where the problems start.

Exactly, it is a relatively safe chemical put to a grim use.
  • Options
    isn't there some horse tranqualisers that can have a damaging effect ont he body that could aid infertility? or maybe I'm thinking of ketamine.

Yeah its a real low down stunt to pull. I know a bloke who had mercury put into his drink and he was well bad afterwards.

But I notice what you guys said up there, not going out with people you know and theres adivice about not accpeting drinks and such.

Clubbing is bad enough for me coz I see these great girls that I'd love to talk to and that but I daren't in case I offend them or think I'm up to something. I never would spike a drink ever but there are gusy there that would and I don't wanna be seen that way. Theres advice that says to get to know girls and stuff in clubs to buy them a drink, yet then they are told not accpet drinks bought for them.

What do you do??
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    isn't there some horse tranqualisers that can have a damaging effect ont he body that could aid infertility? or maybe I'm thinking of ketamine.

Ketamine is used for horses sometimes, but it isnt used just for that, its widely used for animals and used sometimes for elderly or very young people. Plus of course it is the battlefield anesthetic used by virtually every major army for this purpose.

And no, it doesnt have any impact on fertility, in fact in a recent government report scientists suggested it might even be safe to use during pregnancy. I seriously would not recomend it though.
  • Options
    No. I mean whatever its properties, if you inject enough of it you go into a coma and risk brain damage and death I thought.

Isn't there some other drugs used on horses that are used in date rape cases? or is it just ketamine?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    No. I mean whatever its properties, if you inject enough of it you go into a coma and risk brain damage and death I thought.

Isn't there some other drugs used on horses that are used in date rape cases? or is it just ketamine?

In most cases its just alcohol which is used, benzo's and other sedatives are the next most common, then GHB, ketamine etc.

And yes, if you inject a lot you can OD, but it has a high LD50 because of its small impact upon the CNS.

And no, I've not heard of any other drugs which are used on horses used in date rape cases, except the fake one projestinex, though I may have spelt that wrong.
  • Options
    It worries me. 2 of my flat mates have been spiked before. Luckily they got home safely. It happens in my area. I look after my drinks and never leave them alone. Its better being safe than sorry.
    One mate of a mate was raped as a result of a date rape drug while I was at uni. Scary shit.
  • Options
    watch your drinks, if offered a drink and trust the person collect the drink at the bar at the time with the person

dont get yourself bladdered and blame a beer goggled choice of date rape

if you seriously think something has happened, keep a urine sample - basically bongs advice
  • Options
    Not sure if this is the right area for this, but here goes.

Date rape - I know there's a page or two on this on TheSite - but I just wondered what you lot think too...are you worried about it? It doesn't really bother me, cause it doesn't seem to happen that often, but then there's that nagging worry....what do you do to protect yourself? Are there organisations in your area that help to prevent this kind of thing happening? Do you feel safe in clubs/bars? Do any of you use these devices to cover your drinks when you're dancing etc (Spikey etc - I foudn it on the net if you don't know what I'm talking about)
    That spikey things quite cool, do they do a pint sized one? my ninth or tenth pint always seems to get spiked.