Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Transferring unis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi everyone.

To cut a long story short, I'm not likin my Fine Art course at Aberdeen and want to transfer in 2006 after yr 1. The problem is the place I wanna transfer to, Saint Martins (London), is virtually impossible 2 get into and chances are that Ill be finishing my degree where I am rite now. But it is worth a try.

Also, not that Im ashamed or anything but I would rather my uni didnt know I was applying elsewhere. This may be tricky for the ucas form tho cos I hear they only do it electronically now. How could I get around this? Where could I get a reference from rather than my current teachers?

Oh and should I be mentionin to St Martins that Im currently at uni or pretend that I am where I was a year ago? Thanks pple :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    if you are transfering you don't need to go through ucas.
    you need to discuss it with the university you want to go to directly.
  • Options
    You may need to apply through ucas or you may not, it depends on the course and the institutions etc.

If you want to transfer i.e. finish the first year where you are and start the second year at a new institution then obviously you will need to tell them where you are at the moment.
  • Options
    Ratatat wrote:
    Hi everyone.

To cut a long story short, I'm not likin my Fine Art course at Aberdeen and want to transfer in 2006 after yr 1. The problem is the place I wanna transfer to, Saint Martins (London), is virtually impossible 2 get into and chances are that Ill be finishing my degree where I am rite now. But it is worth a try.

Also, not that Im ashamed or anything but I would rather my uni didnt know I was applying elsewhere. This may be tricky for the ucas form tho cos I hear they only do it electronically now. How could I get around this? Where could I get a reference from rather than my current teachers?

Oh and should I be mentionin to St Martins that Im currently at uni or pretend that I am where I was a year ago? Thanks pple :D

what sort of problems are you having with your course? its just that I'm also in my first year of fine art but at lincoln uni n im lovin it so it might b good to compare notes. PM me xx
  • Options
    do you want to try and transfer into the second year or start again in the first year?

if you want to transfer into the second year i would think the uni you want to transfer to will want a reference from your current uni and therefore you'll have to tell them. chances are they'll ask what you've spent the last year doing anyway so you may as well tell them right away.

i transferred to a new uni this year and did so through UCAS because i was starting a new course from scratch. for my reference i used a tutor from my current uni but i was told i could have used an old school teacher or someone that knew me well as long as they weren't friends or family- maybe your boss at work?
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    do you want to try and transfer into the second year or start again in the first year?

if you want to transfer into the second year i would think the uni you want to transfer to will want a reference from your current uni and therefore you'll have to tell them. chances are they'll ask what you've spent the last year doing anyway so you may as well tell them right away.

i transferred to a new uni this year and did so through UCAS because i was starting a new course from scratch. for my reference i used a tutor from my current uni but i was told i could have used an old school teacher or someone that knew me well as long as they weren't friends or family- maybe your boss at work?
    Yeah Im looking to get second year entry, as ambitious as that is :shocking:. however, i did a foundation year before uni which is acceptable for 2nd yr entry anyway so I wouldnt even need this yr of uni if u understand, but it may strengthen my qualifications??

will the current uni be angry that im trying to transfer if they get involved?
  • Options
    Mia16 wrote:
    what sort of problems are you having with your course? its just that I'm also in my first year of fine art but at lincoln uni n im lovin it so it might b good to compare notes. PM me xx
    Aw thanks thats so kind. Drop me a PM when ur ready :)