Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bank charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok heres the deal i would like anyone to clarify this for me.

I have a bank account with no overdraft i go over drawn by say £10 and pay it back at the end of the month. The bank informs me that i will be charged for going over drawn.
Ok thats fine.
Then the following month comes and my balance is £0
the bank charges me so i now have -£25
then the bank tells me they will charge me for going over drawn
the next month im £-50
the bank tells me again that i am overdrawn and will charge me again.
£-75
and the game continues.

I was under the impression that if i go overdrawn because of charges then the bank cannot charge me for the charges as it was "their fault" that i went over drawn. Yes i have had notification that i will be charged but if theres no money inthe account surely they should wait until there is.
Also what happens if its an old account that i stop using and say move house and which i dont recieve a notification. In 10 years time do i get a bill for £25000 from rolling charges?
Thanks in advance
moo

Comments

• Options
    That is how they work. Then they can charge you more and more and more. Cunts.

Which bank are you with?
  • Options
    Thats the way it works. If they waited until you had money in there some people might just never put any money in there to avoid paying charges. Also, if it was an old account, it wouldnt have been overdrawn in the first place because it wouldnt have been in use, presumably.

Call me an unsympathetic bitch, but it is your own fault if you went overdrawn and then didn't pay the charge for it.
  • Options
    this is how banks make so much money.
  • Options
    The solution to this is to have paid the charge. Of course that requires money.

The alternate solution would be to arrange an overdraft.
  • Options
    Go to a branch and argue your case. They have the power to cancel these charges there and then.
  • Options
    Dont get me started on this, ive just got off the phone with my credit card company.
    i was over my limit last month, so they charged me £20, so i paid extra off to make sure it didnt happen this month. when ive got my statement today, including intrest i was £4 under my limit, but they've charged me £20 again, thus taking me over my limit again! its disgusting! :mad:
  • Options
    This is how banks make their money.

It is also why I want to capture every single bank manager and senior bank employee, and take them to a mediaeval dungeon. Nailing them upside down to a wall and then skinning them alive. See how they like it then.

Yep, banks are cunts. HSBC (guess what the C stands for)- ruled by the Chinese triads- is the worst for it, closely followed by Barclays.

Go and argue a case. They will be amenable if you are firm with them; NatWest charged me £20 for missing a payment and I got that wiped off because they took five days to process the payment, and another time I went over my limit by £5 so I got the fee waived as it was grossly uinfair. Some credit cards won't negotiate- MBNA are bastards, and Capital One are even worse.

But yes, excuse me whilst I grin at the thought of an HSBC executive before me begging for his death. that's a nice thought.
  • Options
    I could understand if you hadn't been told that this was going to happen but you had warning. Take it as a life lesson.