Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why does my laptop do this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi
I'm having a little problem with my laptop, I dont know why its happening..
well basically when i connect to the internet, (i use dialup) the whole laptop freezes for like an average of 4 minutes and that really annoys me!
i dont know whats up with it, or why this is happening. I've told my internet provider and they said that its not their fault :confused:
Can some one please please help me :blush:

Comments

• Options
    Is there any errors with your dial up hardware? Have you recently updated it?
  • Options
    So it freezes before dialling out, or after dialling out? how do you dial out, do you use special software or just standard dial-up-networking within windows. Do you connect by clicking into the connection in dialup networking or do you use internet explorer and use the dialler that comes with that?
  • Options
    well i use the wanadoo software i have updated becasue they told me to re install it and same thing happens. and it freezes up after it has dialed up the window shows the homepage and then thats it for 4 minutes :crying:
  • Options
    To be honest I think you find these things quite often with dail up, some pc's 've used in the past become very laggy at times. I'd put money on the fault being the modem...

What specification is your laptop..?
  • Options
    ^ im not familiar with these terms. as i am rubbish with dealing with laptops/pcs i just use them and thats it ;) .what do u mean by specification? :confused:
  • Options
    Rethinking that was a pointless question anyway. By specification I meant what hardware does your laptop contain...

It may be worth contacting the place you got the laptop from, or the company who made it for advice.
  • Options
    Have you done anti-virus and anti-spyware scans?

What do you mean by "freezes completely". What actually happens?

At what point does the "freezing" happen? What is your home page? What is the freezing, is it so that you can't do anything else, or just on the web page?
  • Options
    It mabye the wannadoo software..

I think you should try removing it and all traces including registery and then reinstall the latest and check the windows update page once ur connected to see if you need any updates.

Should work
  • Options
    yup i have synmac and norton internet security..

well when i say freezes i mean that the web page freezes and i cant do anything on ma laptop either.
    wierd only started happening and i always install updates wen xp tells me too :yes:
    but i went on microsoft page n apparantly it happens nothing to do with ma laptop becasue thats in good working order... :yippe:
    i will post the article when i get back to it again.
  • Options
    Make any difference with you having laptop plugged in or on battery?
  • Options
    Try using the windows dialler instead of the Wanadoo one.
  • Options
    nope it doesnt make a difference if ma laptops plugged in or battery. its always plugged in and it was ok untill a few weeks ago
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    noog wrote:
    Try using the windows dialler instead of the Wanadoo one.
    Do that first.

And Norton is thought to be "heavy", if your machine is old it might cause trouble. And even if it isn't old, perhaps N is trying to scan something or autoupdate from the internet and that takes long because of the slow connection.
  • Options
    could be that.. i do have a verrrrrrrrrrry slow connection believe me but i dont mind lol

if i have windows dialer will i still be able to use wanadoo settings etc and how do i get one.. and what if that doesnt solve it?

ive only had ma laptop since july btw :yes:
  • Options
    People still use dial up ;)
  • Options
    yer :yes: nuffin wrong with it unless you plan to download tunes etc.. then your in 4 a looooooooong wait :D
  • Options
    You haven't given us any technical info about your computer so it could be any number of a hundred things

I'd suggest you go to this website, download the free software and run it

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It will produce a report telling us about your PC and past it here ... then we can help you better
  • Options
    You should get a free report produced by the software that looks like this - I've only pasted a fraction of what it shows. Do this and then we'd be in a better position to help you.

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Hewlett-Packard HP OmniBook PC HP OmniBook XE2 DC
    System Serial Number: TW0252XXXX
    Enclosure Type: Notebook
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    500 megahertz Intel Pentium III
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Hewlett-Packard HP OmniBook PC
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. DC.M2.24 12/13/2000
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    40.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    26.54 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TEAC CD-224E [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

SAMSUNG MP0402H [Hard drive] (40.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S03WJ10X958096, rev UC100-11, SMART Status: Healthy 256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 128 MB
    Slot '1' has 128 MB
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 8.39 GB 6.78 GB free
    e: (NTFS on drive 0) 10.49 GB 7.41 GB free
    t: (FAT on drive 0) 2.10 GB 1.48 GB free
    u: (FAT on drive 0) 263 MB 34 MB free
    v: (FAT on drive 0) 2.10 GB 1.37 GB free
    w: (FAT32 on drive 0) 4.19 GB 2.92 GB free
    x: (FAT32 on drive 0) 2.09 GB 842 MB free
    y: (NTFS on drive 0) 10.42 GB 5.71 GB free
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    People still use dial up ;)
    I never implied the opposite, lol. I had dial-up until about a month ago.
    All I said is that some programs, in which Norton is maybe included, "presume" there's a faster connection and try to transfer large amounts of data, causing trouble.
  • Options
    To me this just sounds like a web page is stalling when loading. Most noteably, it's the home page, which is why it freezes on launch. possibly it's an auto-opening page initiated by some dialler software or other.

How do you connect up to the internet? What's your internet home page set to?