Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

So fucking shit.

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Yup, it is. Well, my slave HDD is about inches away from being entirley dead, as a paper weight. So, I turned it offski for the time being, and its sitting out of the caddy thing it plugs into. So, off to Ebuyer to save the day! I hope. Probably gonig to grab a 200gb bitch of a drive, copy the entire 80 gig over through black magic (I hope) of somesort. So. Advice, and help!
This is the first on my list. Any advice/experiences about it?
Secondly is this. Same as above - only three star rating... any other drives you'd recommend?

Also - Biggie here. The drive has programs, when in and turned on, that boot up - so it freezes the PC trying. I intend to plug the 80 back in (after hte 200, and on a different PC) and copy n paste all the data. If I cannot do it via conventional ways, or indeed, is there somesort of way to retreive this data? Should I do this before trying normally as the PC tends to freeze up booting? (Note: It worked fine two days ago... then came home today and its fucked!).. recommendations? Take it to ome expert person? What should I do... alot of crucial data on there.

And Firefox is on it. God, I forgot how shite IE was. I can't use scrolly wheel in favourites!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    With a dying hard drive, the best thing to do is the leave the PC turned off overnight, preferably somewhere cold, like the garage.

In the morning, slave another HD and do a ghost.

When your new 200 gig arrives, install Windows and Ghost Explorer and then pull off any files you need off the image.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hitachis in my experience tend to be loud and flaky.

I'd go with a Western Digital over the Seagate.

If it's not the O/S drive, then you should, in theory be able to give the new drive the same letter and just copy the stuff back across, assuming you are not altering windows in any way.