Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Student Laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there,
I would like some advice on laptops,

Im a student, in my final year, and as my desktop PC is very old and rubbish, Im going to be investing in a laptop to do the rest of my work on, and for the future.
I dont know much about what specifications I should be looking for, I would like it to have a good memory (but what is good? - 60MB?). What is Centrium also? I was told that having intel centrio was a good thing, any clues on how to decode specifications would be great!

Comments

• Options
    Well, sounds like you need a nice reliable laptop. I'm guessing you'd want it to be pretty fast. Here would be an example of a nice laptop setup:

Intel Pentium M Processor at or around 2 Ghz
    256 MB DDR RAM (minimum) for your memory
    40 - 80 Gigabyte hard drive
    14 - 17 inch display
    32 - 64 MB integrated video card (Radeon 9000 mobile or nVidia GeForce Go)
    Optical drive (CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc.)
    and of course Windows XP pro or home

I would also get a wireless adapter card for wireless internet access. Incredibly useful.
  • Options
    duck4 wrote:
    Hi there,

Im a student, in my final year, and as my desktop PC is very old and rubbish, Im going to be investing in a laptop to do the rest of my work on, and for the future.
    I dont know much about what specifications I should be looking for, I would like it to have a good memory (but what is good? - 60MB?). What is Centrium also? I was told that having intel centrio was a good thing, any clues on how to decode specifications would be great!

Centrino is Intel's mobile technology, which means that you can connect your laptop up to a wireless network without buying any more cards. Of course, you'd have to have the wireless network though.

Good memory for a computer for general word processing and internet browsing would probably be 256MB exclusive or 512MB shared with the graphics.

Disk space, you'd probably be looking around 60GB, but wont use much of it.
  • Options
    duck4 wrote:
    Hi there,

What is Centrium also?

:eek2:
  • Options
    ok thanks you've been quite helpful. ive also been looking at desktop PC's - they would be cheaper.
  • Options
    I paid about 390 for mine, brand new, had wireless built in celeron 1.8 with 256 ram (which i upgraded to 512) If you're going to be taking it to a tiny room at uni you'll probably be willing to sacrifice some speed for the ability to stow it away and not clutter your entire desk
  • Options
    duck4 wrote:
    ok thanks you've been quite helpful. ive also been looking at desktop PC's - they would be cheaper.
    They are, yes, and if you don't need a laptop I would suggest getting a PC. A lot of people just buy a laptop because they think they're cool or something... But if you're not going to be moving round a lot, then why bother having one? You'll get better value for money with a PC
  • Options
    yeah, i agree. I wouldn't use my laptop at uni or when i am out anywhere for fear of it getting stolen/broke. I will be buying a desktop PC, getting one made to order. thanks for helping me make up my mind!