Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Warning For Those Who Use The Birth Control Patch!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I FOUND A HEALTH ARTICLE ABOUT THE BIRTH CONTROL PATCH. SINCE I USED THE PATCH I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE HELPFUL TO READ IT SO I DID. IN THE ARTICLE IT EXPLAINS HOW THE MAKERS OF THE PATCH ARE WARNING WOMAN USING IT TO SWITCH TO THE PILL BECAUSE THE PATCH IS VERY DANGEROUS! IT CAN CAUSE SOME SERIOUS BLOOD CLOTS. IT ALSO SAYS THAT WOMAN IN THEIR LATE TEENS AND EARLY TWENTIES WHO USED THE PATCH HAVE DIED. PLEASE LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS TO PREVENT FROM HARMFUL THINGS HAPPENING. IF YOU WANT TO READ THE ARTICLE I RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/11/10/patch.warning.ap.ap/index.html

Comments

• Options
    DON'T panic.it's only one brand of patch. People who are worried should contact their gp/nurse/fpc etc rather than just stop using their patch.
  • Options
    DON'T panic.it's only one brand of patch. People who are worried should contact their gp/nurse/fpc etc rather than just stop using their patch.

Thats how I read the article it was only the brand of patch mentioned that was affected Ortho Evra. So before everyone starts to panic check what brand you are using and if you are still worried contact your gp/nurse/fpc etc... there may be other factors which we don't know about which could have incresed the chance of clotting, such a weight and life style.
  • Options
    If anyone's worried the best idea is to talk to your GP or whoever prescribed it to you, as nicebutdim23 said.
    You could also call the fpa or Brook:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Web: www.brook.org.uk
    Tel: 0800 018 5023

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Web: www.fpa.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 310 1334

I'm gonna move this thread to health as I think it's a bit more relevant there :)
  • Options
    all hormonal contraceptives carry an increased risk of blood clotting. your doctor should go through this with you when it's prescribed.

'dozens' of affected women in the millions who use it does not constitute a particularly high risk. but yeah, i agree. speak to whoever prescribed it. :)