Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blackouts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Over the last year ive started noticing that sometimes when i suddenly get up i will almost pass out.
It started noticable on holiday in Egypt (and again in the half term afterwards) that id have to grab hold of something to stop myself collapsing; my vision would fuzz over and go dark and my limbs went numb but i put it down to the heat.
But there have been odd occasions at home where its happened, never to the extend of (near-)collapse but its happened.
So now im kinda starting to worry cos i havnt told anyone and it doesnt happen very often and I just wondered whta people think cos its so rare that it hardly seems worth seeing a GP about and i dont want to worry anyone either... and im not particularly bothered by it and (wierd as it sounds) it just feels kinda funny when it does happen.

Comments

• Options
    My advice is see your GP.
  • Options
    I had exactly the same symptoms, mine were more frequent and i was passing out at college and stuff. Once i passed out when getting out of the bath, hit my head and was laying on the floor naked for over an hour. Unfortunately for me my mum broke to door and found me there lol but thats another story.

Anyway i went to my GP, got referred to a Neurologist and Cardioligist and had a condition called VSS or just really bad low blood pressure. I was put on steroids and lots of salt with meals and was cured in just over 6 months.

Its not something to be left untreated so yeh see your GP :)
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    My advice is see your GP.
    Yeah, and Google "postural hypotension".
  • Options
    RudeBwoy wrote:
    I had exactly the same symptoms, mine were more frequent and i was passing out at college and stuff. Once i passed out when getting out of the bath, hit my head and was laying on the floor naked for over an hour. Unfortunately for me my mum broke to door and found me there lol but thats another story.

Anyway i went to my GP, got referred to a Neurologist and Cardioligist and had a condition called VSS or just really bad low blood pressure. I was put on steroids and lots of salt with meals and was cured in just over 6 months.

Its not something to be left untreated so yeh see your GP :)

Pessimistic advise but a damn good insentive to do just that... i think i know what ill be doing within the next week.
  • Options
    I had that also, but far less severe. I was just slightly dehydrated.
  • Options
    Yhe, thats just it i dont think i was dehydrated in Egypt cos my parents are control freaks over that sort thing, esspecially since im underweight. I think its something else but i cant say for sure. Events just seem to suggest it.
  • Options
    im underweight.
    There's your answer.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I made a similar thread some months ago (maybe a year) and they said it was probably just a headrush. I attribute it to poor blood circulation, though I haven't had one for months now.
  • Options
    Sometimes it can just be a drop in blood pressure - especially if it happens when you're lying down and get up too quickly.

I passed out for the first time ever about 3 months ago - It was kinda embarrassing at the time cos I was with a guy friend of mine and I was staying the night with him at his parents house and I got up to go to the toilet, made it there but when I went to wash my hands in the bathroom I turned on the light and next thing I knew was my mate standing over me asking if I was okay. I actually hit my head on the bath when I went down and still my head seems to have a bit of bruised tissue where I hit it (3 months later).
  • Options
    ive blacked twice but both times i was coming down off drugs

i get the headrush when i stand up too fast, everything feels all weird and i cant see anything
  • Options
    This happened to me a couple of years ago, I kept passing out, a couple of times in front of friends, once at a bus stop (very embarrassing! :blush: ) Went to GP who referred me to a neurologist. Found out i just had low blood pressure, therefore anything like standing up too quickly or being too hot would make me pass out. I suggest you get checked out by your GP to find out what is causing it for you...but the fact you say you are underweight would suggest you have low blood pressure anyway...so go to your GP :yes:
  • Options
    Those exact symptoms happen to me occasionally ... say youve been lying on the sofa for like 2 hours or something then u get up you just have to stand there for a bit and you sort of sway lol (plus ure vision goes fucked as u said).

I never thoght it was anything serious?? Just sitting in one position for too long restricting circulation or something. :o