Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Networking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I currently have arouter with 1 USB socket and 1 ethernet (or how ever u spell it) socket. My computers plugged in on the usb, and the other on the ethernet. We're getting another computer, so im going to plug the printer into the usb to net work and then get a switch to plug in the router. So i can plug all the computers into the switch. Some people have said to me this may not work, just wondering if anyone knows if it will or not?

Comments

• Options
    So if i understand you right....

Router (w/ 1x USB & 1 Ethernet)
    connected to:
    Switch (4/8 port)

Should be easy enough to just connect an ethernet cable from the port on the router to the uplink port on the switch.

Does the router support printers on the usb port? I.e. does it have a print server built in?
  • Options
    The printer probably wont work when connected to the router, as usually the USB connection to the router is soley for network (unless otherwise specified)

But yes, get a switch and connect the router and switch with a crossover cable & connect the other pc's to the switch.
  • Options
    sweet. i tested the printer. seems to work alrite.
  • Options
    You don't need to buy anything. Plug the printer into one of the computers and share it.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    You don't need to buy anything. Plug the printer into one of the computers and share it.

Yep, thats what i do here ive got the printer plugged into the living room pc and then the living room pc is connected to the router and is shared over that...
  • Options
    Mist wrote:

The way I understand it, he's got 2 computers with 1 printer, and is getting a third...
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    My computers plugged in on the usb, and the other on the ethernet. We're getting another computer...