Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

If a couple were expecting a kid and the mother wanted an abortion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and the father didn't, does the woman have to listen? it is her body after all

or the reverse situation, don't matter either way

then...

if you think the woman has the most important say as it's her body with the developing embryo and shes physically responsible for carrying it, then surely you must agree that the issue of contraception or lack of, is mainly her responsibility in deciding on the basis of risks, or don't you agree?

someone just asked me this, and with that line of logic you have to agree - damn i hate logic arguments (personally i always wear protection and we go double dutch with the pill so don't matter)

Comments

• Options
    It's the kid's kid.

Until the child can live on it's own, it's just more cells that the mother has grown. Once it can, it's an individual. I think the current rules have it about right, tbh.

On the contraception thing. I am male. I can shag someone and get them pregnant and then walk out the door never to be seen again. A single successful sexual act for a woman can take 18 years to finish. Explain's a lot about the differences between the sexes I think.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It's the kid's kid.

Until the child can live on it's own, it's just more cells that the mother has grown. Once it can, it's an individual. I think the current rules have it about right, tbh.

On the contraception thing. I am male. I can shag someone and get them pregnant and then walk out the door never to be seen again. A single successful sexual act for a woman can take 18 years to finish. Explain's a lot about the differences between the sexes I think.

not an abortion debate btw ;) and generally alright viewpoint even if the resulting woman thinks your a twat :p
  • Options
    not an abortion debate btw ;) and generally alright viewpoint even if the resulting woman thinks your a twat :p

If its not an abortion debate - why use the word abortion in the title?
  • Options
    and the father didn't, does the woman have to listen?

She can listen, but the final decision lies with her. If a man can be pregnant and carry that pregnancy to term, then obviously, it would be his decision, but so long as the zygote/embryo/foetus is in her body, then any decision lies with her, and she doesn't even have to be under any obligation to inform him.

To give a man, or woman, control of that woman's body is not equality, despite the genetic balance regarding the z/e/f. There's way too much of a grey area to even think about giving legal notification to partners. It's bad enough some parents want that for their children.

Some people will argue that it's not fair because the man will then have no choice if he's chained to the CSA etc, but no one said that part was fair. It's the woman's decision, it's her body. Up to her whether she gestates or terminates. I've seen too many abusive realtionships where she's coerced into keeping it or aborting and it's utterly repulsive and very sad.

I'm waiting for Aborted Slippy to make some irrational comment about it being the fault of all the feminazis. Come to go_away darling, there's a cannula with your name on it ;)
  • Options
    It's the woman's call. No-one else's.
  • Options
    [/QUOTE]She can listen, but the final decision lies with her.

I didn't realise that abortion was self administered.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    If its not an abortion debate - why use the word abortion in the title?

get attention and it's part of the scenario

this is more of a debate than politics imo
  • Options
    I didn't realise that abortion was self administered.

Huh?

In some countries where it's illegal, yes, the women do take it upon themselves to do a bit of DIY. Even in countries where it's legal, some prefer to go via the pennyroyal tea/vitamin C route.

I doubt that was your point, so if you wouldn't mind being clearer.
  • Options
    I doubt that was your point, so if you wouldn't mind being clearer.

No, really I didn't. It's not something that interests me, as a rule. I agree it's the woman's choice, along the lines as already stated.
  • Options
    Until men can carry babies to term, the choice is the woman's and the woman's alone.

The woman is the person who has to go through childbirth, it is her choice whether she does or not. If the man wants to keep it then tough shit; if he doesn't, and gets tied to the CSA, then them's the risks.
  • Options
    I'm with Kermit.
  • Options
    Pre-coital contracts!
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Pre-coital contracts!

i bet they exist in america :lol:
  • Options
    i bet they exist in america :lol:

Haha. Could you imagine that?
    Signed by no less that 3 independent witnesses...

Oh, and it's the woman's choice whether or not she has a kid or aborts.
    Just use protection to avoid any side effects.
  • Options
    Don't put it beyond America to take a pregnant woman to Court because the man who impregnated her doesn't want her to "kill their baby". :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Don't put it beyond America to take a pregnant woman to Court because the man who impregnated her doesn't want her to "kill their baby". :rolleyes:

There have been some cases in the UK where the partners have tried to stop their girlfriends from having an abortion. All failed in court. One guy appeared on a daytime TV show surprised (!) that the relationship broke down after that, and had requested the foetal remains. Doubt he got them as they're taken for cremation pretty quickly, and would require the woman's consent for keeping them.

There was a private members bill recently proposing abortion only in circumstances of rape and incest, not to mention jailing doctors for life. I think it was Laurence Robertson who proposed it.
  • Options
    the couple aren't expecting a baby ...the woman is.
  • Options
    Well I personally feel that its the woman who has the final say, after all it will be her carrying the baby for 40 weeks, her with the stretch marks, her to stop drinking, her to have the actual labour blah blah
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Personally, I agree with this:
    Kermit wrote:
    Until men can carry babies to term, the choice is the woman's and the woman's alone.

The woman is the person who has to go through childbirth, it is her choice whether she does or not. If the man wants to keep it then tough shit; if he doesn't, and gets tied to the CSA, then them's the risks.

But not with this:
    klintock wrote:
    Until the child can live on it's own, it's just more cells that the mother has grown.
    The DNA proves differently. I just like calling things by their name.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Well I personally feel that its the woman who has the final say, after all it will be her carrying the baby for 40 weeks, her with the stretch marks, her to stop drinking, her to have the actual labour blah blah

the question was, if the woman has the final say, then surely contraception is in mainly her responsbility
  • Options
    Not quite. It takes two to conceive a life (so contraception is responsibility of both partners) but only one to carry the foetus and eventually give birth (so the decision on whether to abort it's the woman's only).
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not quite. It takes two to concieve a life (so contraception is responsability of both partners) but only one to carry the foetus and eventually give birth (so the decision on whether to abort it's the woman's only).

least someone answered :lol:

personally i don't like to risk it, however some guys i know who follow that line of thoguht, might be a bit silly in taking risks, but their principles are fine (if that makes sense) :confused:
  • Options
    Put it this way, if a bloke doesn't want to be put in that position then he should protect himself...

After conception its "out of his hands" so to speak...
  • Options
    the question was, if the woman has the final say, then surely contraception is in mainly her responsbility

Oh dear, please tell me why it is HER responsibility ?

so you wanna quick shag and you'll be ok cos she will have made sure she's taken her pill...........nah it does not work that way.
  • Options
    Sex is a two way thing, both should be responsible.

You don't get AIDs from dirty toilet seats ya know.
  • Options
    I had this debate with a friend of mine a few weeks ago as she thinks that it is purely the womens responsibility, in one respect this may be true as women are the ones who have to deal with the consequences in the respect that they are pregnant and that the guy can just piss off never to be seen again and why put yourself in that position if its something you dont want or are not ready for...... on the other hand men should be responsible too and it does take two to tango, its a tough call as if the guy wants to keep the child, it is half his so to speak, i mean if it is in circumstances say where the guy is told he can't have children and then he gets someone pregnant, who wants an abortion........ well thats a whole new thread huh!!
  • Options
    at the end of the day....a man is never going to know how it feels to have another life growing inside you, the morning sickness, stretch marks, cutting out this and that, being tired, back pain, the actual labour etc and the flabby belly after....it's inside her body and its not the end of the world if she wants an abortion, because usually she'll have good reason and isn't a decision taken lightly....i don't think theres any woman who is going to enjoy having an abortion
  • Options
    I think the point that always gets lost is that ideally there would always be a discussion by a couple about their future when something like an unexpected pregnancy came up. The extreme position, of who has final say is important (after all are we suggesting a man should be able to force a woman to carry a child to full term against her will), but in the end it's a position most people don't actually find themselves in.
  • Options
    Put it this way, if a bloke doesn't want to be put in that position then he should protect himself...

After conception its "out of his hands" so to speak...

That's exactly it.

Though I would say that it is the woman's responsibility to make sure she does not have sex without protection, simply because she is taking the bigger risk of STDs. The biggest risk group from AIDS is straight women who don't protect themselves.

The same would apply for the man, of course. He is at risk of disease if he doesn't use protection, and he is at risk he might have a little bundle of joy to empty his wallet if he doesn't use a condom.

It's all about protecting yourself. Neither partner should have sex without taking precautions. They should also not have sex without realising that, hey, sex has risks.

JimV makes the accurate point that most children are born in stable loving relationships, and are planned and wanted.