Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can my relationship survive?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Give it a go :)

It's probably healthy to worry a bit, but wait until he's actually been offered a place before you really start considering the long distance side of everything.
  • Options
  • Options
    my sisters bf lives in kingston and hes 21 and my sister goes to uni in bristoland is 19. they see each other every weekend thanks to the megabus! if you book in advance it costs u £2.50 return. it goes from london victoria to pretty much any city in britain. check it out www.megabus.com. they go to cardiff!! and ther not skanky old many buses either (they used to be). the price goes up the later you leave it but i hope thats of some use.
  • Options
  • Options
    Talk to him about your worries, its fine to do that, he isnt a mind reader!

It also depends on you and him, how commited you both are. I know couples where one has cheated on the other, or at least highly tempted. Others have moved on/dumped the person. On the other hand I have seen some work, and now live happily ^^ Its all dependant on the two of you and how you feel for each other, the peeps who split up obviously didnt feel it was worth it!
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote:
    I'd love to hear from anyone who's survived a long distance uni relationship and come out the other side as an intact couple - or is there no-one who's done that? :(

Yup, I have!

I met my blokey at the end of my first year in Bristol - which happened to be his final year and he moved back home to London on graduating. I was on a 4 year languages degree, so for the next 3 years we were long distance, including during my year abroad, when I was in Hanover, and our seeing each other varied between once every 2 or 3 weeks to once in 2 and a half months (when I was in Germany). But...it all worked out, we stayed together the entire time and I've now been living with him in London for nearly a year and a half.

It can be done, see :) Just suck it and see - t'would be silly to rule anything out at this stage.
  • Options
    i dont want to make you feel bad but i was in a 2 yr relationship and my boyfriend never cheated on me but when he went out i would get completely paranoid, we are no longer together, he couldn't stand that i couldn't trust him, but it wasn't that i couldn't trust him but that i know what girls are like and didn't trust what could happen in these clubs. give it a go its not worth ending it now, if it doesn't work then you will try and heal your broken heart like im trying to now.

oh and my ex bf did meet someone else who made him happy unlike how he felt with me
  • Options
  • Options
    My parents met at 18 on a college field trip. Mum lived in London, Dad in Halifax, so there was a good 220miles between them! They saw eachother most weekends, Mum would get a coach up to Halifax or Dad would drive down. They've now been married 22 years, so it can work!!
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote:
    Hi all,

I’m sure there have been other threads on this sort of subject so apologies if I’m going over old ground…but I’d appreciate others’ advice and opinions all the same. Basically my problem is this. I’m 24 and my boyfriend is 21. We’ve been together almost a year now and everything is pretty much great – we love each other and have a good time together, he makes me feel happy and confident and I hope I do the same for him. I went to uni when I left school, and graduated 3 years ago. I met him at my old workplace, although I now work somewhere else and he is currently running his own recording studio.

Anyway, the other day we were talking and he told me he is planning to try and get in to DrumTech, a music college, next March – to do a one year diploma initially but with the hope of then going on to complete a degree (ie two more years after that). Now, I’m honestly pleased for him. I think it would really help him – he is a fantastic drummer with shedloads of potential and he would benefit so much from going somewhere like that, plus I also think the living away from home experience would do him loads of good too. However I can’t help but be absolutely terrified at the prospect of him leaving. DrumTech is in London and we both currently live in Cardiff, so obviously were we to stay together we’d have a long-distance relationship and I’m not sure I could cope with that. I’m quite an insecure person anyway and I worry that I’m just going to get completely messed up with paranoia about what he might be doing and who he might be with. Plus I know only too well the changes people go through when they go off to uni – I don’t want to be another couple that falls apart when one person goes off and creates a whole new life for themselves.

We’ve talked about it a bit, and he did say that he wouldn’t want us to break up if he went away, but because it’s still quite a vague thing and in the future we haven’t really been able to talk it through properly. What I’d like to know is, do you all think I’m right to be worried? Is it really as likely as I think that our relationship would fail if he moved away? Should I be brave and give the long-distance thing a go if he does get in to the college, or should I just accept that he’s come to a new chapter in his life which I’m really not going to be able to fit into and that I should just let him go? I know it’s all a bit hypothetical but I’d be grateful for any thoughts you guys have on this topic.

Cheers guys :)
    DrumTech looks class! i wanted to go there myself ... dont; know why i didn't try it -- guess i'm not that good a drummer :( but anyway,

is going to London with him out of the question? you's could try the long distance thing out for a while and if it doesn't work out then, at least you'll have tried.
  • Options
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote:
    he did say jokingly that I should get a job in London, when we were discussing this, but I don't know whether he wants me to make that kind of big decision because of him. It might put too much pressure on us as a couple.

Surely he wouldn't have said it, even jokingly, if he didn't like the idea. I'm not saying you necessarily should - it's fucking expensive here for one thing! -but it's maybe something you should think about.

I dunno where I would have gone after graduation if it wasn't for my boyfriend being in London. I s'pose I might have ended up here anyway because at the time I was fishing after political jobs so it's obviously quite a good place to be for that, but I could have just as easily stayed in Bristol to do my Public Policy masters - my boyfriend was definitely the greatest pulling factor. And, yes, it was a huge risk - beforehand we'd only spent 2 or 3 months living in the same town before it turned longdistance, so the idea of suddenly being in each others pockets 24/7 was pretty damn scary, but in the end it's worked out fantastically. No regrets whatsoever.

But if you do decide to go (sorry if this sounds obvious!) get a job before you move down there, that way you won't have the added stress of jobseeking and surviving on JSA on top of all the newness, which could easily lead to grouchiness and arguments!
  • Options
    Shit man....this thread makes me think. I am in a long-distance relationship as I only see my bf at the weekends. I guess I never thought of the relationship as being long-distance as it never really felt as if he is far away.

It hasn't always been long-distance - we have been together for nearly 2 years now and we lived together once. But we speak almost every day and when the weekends come around we always spend a great deal of time together.

I guess if you feel as though you are losing touch with the partner then its not really good, but I don't; I feel like he is there for most of the time, so its not so bad.

Im just babbling on.
  • Options
    If you are a strong couple then the distance will be hard, but you should tolerate it to an extent. It isn't that far from Cardiff to London, only a couple of hours by train, so you iwll be able to see each other.

Distance is hard, perhaps you'll realise that actually you're not got that much in common, and maybe it will fizzle out. Maybe you'll realise you love each other far more than you thought, and make you stronger. Distance really is something that will make or break a relationship.