Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

UK Drinking Laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was wondering if someone could clear up the UK drinking laws for me. I've tried to Google it, but all I get is people winging about 24 hour drinking.

What I need to know is restaurant drinking laws. The law states that anyone over 14 can have a drink of less than spirit strength with a table meal. So what's a 'table meal.' If you have a bowl of soup or a plate of chips in the lounge area of a restaurant, for example, does that count? And what about spirit strength? Does a vodka and coke count, and how about a cocktail? And does the meal have to be on the table before they can get an alcoholic drink, or can they have it while they're waiting? What if they get it before the meal comes, but don't actually touch it until they get their food?

Okay, it's a sly dig at our overcomplicated alcohol laws, but I also need to know, cause I'm trying to organise a date at the place I work with a girl who's under 18, and I figured I'd make us up a couple of cocktails to drink before we get a quick snack then head off elsewhere. And since I'd be the one serving (technically myself), it'd be my arse on the line if I break any laws.

Comments

• Options
    Bed time reading Licensing Act (see "Children and alcohol").

If you work there, can you not just ask the licensee?
  • Options
    Well I could, but I've asked before, and he says that they seem to be really obscure, particularly regarding cocktails. You don't need to measure spirits in a cocktail, for example. A cocktail is apparently anything with 3 or more ingredients in, but they don't say what counts as an ingredient (ice? whipped cream?) I know I'm probably just being a big girls blouse about this. Oh well, if all else fails, I'll just buy a jug and if anyone asks it's for me.
    Oh and cheers for the link, but I'm having 'content advisor' problems whatever that is and it wont let me see it. I don't know, I can get a graphic advert of Paris Hiltons video no problem, but I want to look at an official government website, and nooooo. What do they put on these websites? Reckon you could do me a huge favour and copy and paste, or is it a pdf file?
  • Options
    You could try askTheSite's legal section - www.thesite.org/community/askthesite/askaquestion
  • Options
    I was wondering if someone could clear up the UK drinking laws for me. I've tried to Google it, but all I get is people winging about 24 hour drinking.

What I need to know is restaurant drinking laws. The law states that anyone over 14 can have a drink of less than spirit strength with a table meal. So what's a 'table meal.' If you have a bowl of soup or a plate of chips in the lounge area of a restaurant, for example, does that count? And what about spirit strength? Does a vodka and coke count, and how about a cocktail? And does the meal have to be on the table before they can get an alcoholic drink, or can they have it while they're waiting? What if they get it before the meal comes, but don't actually touch it until they get their food?

Okay, it's a sly dig at our overcomplicated alcohol laws, but I also need to know, cause I'm trying to organise a date at the place I work with a girl who's under 18, and I figured I'd make us up a couple of cocktails to drink before we get a quick snack then head off elsewhere. And since I'd be the one serving (technically myself), it'd be my arse on the line if I break any laws.

I think this link may help you Alcohol and the law , its a clear table of what you/she can and can't do, as long as you are buying and you are having a sit down meal in the eatting area of where you work you should be fine.
  • Options
    The Law wrote:
    146 Sale of alcohol to children

(1) A person commits an offence if he sells alcohol to an individual aged under 18.

(2) A club commits an offence if alcohol is supplied by it or on its behalf-

(a) to, or to the order of, a member of the club who is aged under 18, or
    (b) to the order of a member of the club, to an individual who is aged under 18.
    (3) A person commits an offence if he supplies alcohol on behalf of a club-

(a) to, or to the order of, a member of the club who is aged under 18, or
    (b) to the order of a member of the club, to an individual who is aged under 18.
    (4) Where a person is charged with an offence under this section by reason of his own conduct it is a defence that-

(a) he believed that the individual was aged 18 or over, and
    (b) either-
    (i) he had taken all reasonable steps to establish the individual's age, or
    (ii) nobody could reasonably have suspected from the individual's appearance that he was aged under 18.
    (5) For the purposes of subsection (4), a person is treated as having taken all reasonable steps to establish an individual's age if-

(a) he asked the individual for evidence of his age, and
    (b) the evidence would have convinced a reasonable person.
    (6) Where a person ("the accused") is charged with an offence under this section by reason of the act or default of some other person, it is a defence that the accused exercised all due diligence to avoid committing it.

(7) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.

147 Allowing the sale of alcohol to children

(1) A person to whom subsection (2) applies commits an offence if he knowingly allows the sale of alcohol on relevant premises to an individual aged under 18.

(2) This subsection applies to a person who works at the premises in a capacity, whether paid or unpaid, which authorises him to prevent the sale.

(3) A person to whom subsection (4) applies commits an offence if he knowingly allows alcohol to be supplied on relevant premises by or on behalf of a club-

(a) to or to the order of a member of the club who is aged under 18, or
    (4) This subsection applies to-

(a) a person who works on the premises in a capacity, whether paid or unpaid, which authorises him to prevent the supply, and
    (b) any member or officer of the club who at the time of the supply is present on the relevant premises in a capacity which enables him to prevent it.
    (5) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.
    But subsection (4) does not apply where-

(a) the relevant person is aged 18 or over,
    (b) the individual is aged 16 or 17,
    (c) the alcohol is beer, wine or cider,
    (d) its purchase or supply is for consumption at a table meal on relevant premises, and
    (e) the individual is accompanied at the meal by an individual aged 18 or over.
    I think you'll be alright buying her one drink tbh.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot. Appriciate it.
  • Options
    But one thing I was always taught in the pub where I worked is that, yes, all that applies but when it comes to serving drinks for consumption by minors, the barman/landlord always had the last say. Ie, it's not a God-given right for the minor to be allowed to drink; it's still up to the barman/landlord to decide whether they want to/should serve them or not.
  • Options
    and at the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with Orange juice.