Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The pensions crisis

Click here for the story.

Back on Thursday, the Financial Times reported that the Pensions Commission is likely to recommend raising the basic state pension and also increase the age which it can be claimed. In other words, the retirement age goes up from 65 to 67. This is not entirely new - as I understand it, documents dating as far back as the 1950s suggested raising the age to 68, according to ITV News - but I'm surprised no one's mentioned it. After all, we're all going to be affected by this eventually. So, do you fancy working another two years? Is the retirement age a feasible option in the long term? Is there too high a dependence on the state at pension age?

Answering my own questions.... I can safely say unless I absolutely love what I'm doing, I wouldn't like to work two extra years. I reckon the retirement age will be scrapped completely in the end because the costs are simply going to get too high. It's of no help that public sector workers are still being allowed to retire at 60. Personally, I have not started saving towards a pension. And I suspect most people here haven't. I've got a university education to pay for starting next year, the cost of living in most of the country is rocketing, (part of the reason I decided not to move to London) and there is something of a buy-now-pay-later culture in this country.

Of the recommendation, I think it will be a bitter pill to swallow, but I reckon it will have to be done. But how? If the Government tries to say public sector workers can retire at 60 and receive inflation-proof pensions, when private sector workers do not receive any such privileges, how on earth are they gonna get it through? It's all such a mess.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course we need to raise the retirement age a few years. It's an older population who are living longer. We can't sustain the current system so something must be done. I'm no economicist but raising the retirement age will help
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Click here for the story.

Back on Thursday, the Financial Times reported that the Pensions Commission is likely to recommend raising the basic state pension and also increase the age which it can be claimed. In other words, the retirement age goes up from 65 to 67. This is not entirely new - as I understand it, documents dating as far back as the 1950s suggested raising the age to 68, according to ITV News - but I'm surprised no one's mentioned it. After all, we're all going to be affected by this eventually. So, do you fancy working another two years? Is the retirement age a feasible option in the long term? Is there too high a dependence on the state at pension age?

Answering my own questions.... I can safely say unless I absolutely love what I'm doing, I wouldn't like to work two extra years. I reckon the retirement age will be scrapped completely in the end because the costs are simply going to get too high. It's of no help that public sector workers are still being allowed to retire at 60. Personally, I have not started saving towards a pension. And I suspect most people here haven't. I've got a university education to pay for starting next year, the cost of living in most of the country is rocketing, (part of the reason I decided not to move to London) and there is something of a buy-now-pay-later culture in this country.

Of the recommendation, I think it will be a bitter pill to swallow, but I reckon it will have to be done. But how? If the Government tries to say public sector workers can retire at 60 and receive inflation-proof pensions, when private sector workers do not receive any such privileges, how on earth are they gonna get it through? It's all such a mess.
    SG ...it's refreshing seeing someone your age thinking ahead. not many do as it all seems so far off at your age.

me ...i'm in my fifties and have recently read that one in four guys now aged 50 won't see seventy meaning ...an awful lot of men are going to work to the grave ...disgusting.

when i was a kid ...harold wilson was prime minister and used to talk about the white hot heatg of techno;ogy ...changing our lives for the better.

it was inevitable that less people would have to work ...full time or at all.
    the age of leisure was coming.

how wrong could he have been!

we now have a 24hr society ...seven days a week.
    old people will have to work till they drop ...thanks to our technology of 24hr banking shoping drinking traveling etc.

the dreams that were fed to me as a kid ...are turning into the nightmares of my science fiction books in every way possible.
  • Options
    SG ...it's refreshing seeing someone your age thinking ahead. not many do as it all seems so far off at your age. me ...i'm in my fifties and have recently read that one in four guys now aged 50 won't see seventy meaning ...an awful lot of men are going to work to the grave ...disgusting.
    Too right. One newspaper, (I can't remember which one right now) had a cartoon of a woman weeping at the gravestone of her husband who didn't reach 70 and had died at work. Will the government enforce this onto us? They claim life expectancy is still rising. But how much more can it rise? Human beings will not live forever. Indeed, why would we want to? A government full of ministers that will retire on huge pensions, no doubt brought about by their future memoirs and directorships, will tell us to work longer, save more, be taxed more. And get less in the future. Pathetic!
  • Options
    It all goes to show - you are SLAVES of the Government.

They take about half of your wages every year from you through taxes, NI and optional pension funds. That means that you work almost half of the year for FREE.

MPs take so much money from you, that when they buy a holiday home or some deal goes wrong, YOU have to foot the bill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4383038.stm

At least you can withdraw from a pension fund - why bother waiting until you're 60, 70, or whatever age your MASTERS decide they want you to work until. You're better off withdrawing from it.

No future for pensions anyway.
  • Options
    Given we are living longer than ever before it seems reasonable to assume we are going to have to work longer as well.

You cant work for 30 years then retire for the same period, it doesnt work.

Maybe this bird flu will give us a nice cull of the old and weak and we wont have to retire later.
  • Options
    No-one will be making anyone work until they are 67, the average retirement age is something like 58...........

It is a necessity to raise the retirement age but it does seem rather unfair on those in manual occupations who will find it more difficult. Preferably there would be provision for these people to retire earlier but I am not sure how you could work that.......
  • Options
    NDC777 wrote:
    It all goes to show - you are SLAVES of the Government.

They take about half of your wages every year from you through taxes, NI and optional pension funds. That means that you work almost half of the year for FREE.

MPs take so much money from you, that when they buy a holiday home or some deal goes wrong, YOU have to foot the bill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4383038.stm

At least you can withdraw from a pension fund - why bother waiting until you're 60, 70, or whatever age your MASTERS decide they want you to work until. You're better off withdrawing from it.

No future for pensions anyway.

is this true particularly the half bit? i thought it was something like 26% ????
  • Options
    this whole problem does really worry me, and i'm only 19. I just recently got a letter through asking what i was planning in reagrds to my pension and that i would receive about £87 per week. just imagine working your whole life for that measily amount.

But i can see why this is a massibe problem. When you look at it, it is a ration of 1/3, where the working people are paying for the children and elderly, how long did the government really think that they could keep this up. It annoys me that they have had years to plan, and appear to have not done a lot. From my understanding, the government actually penalises people who have more that 3000 savings, and it means that are not allowed certain benefits during life. I can see why people don't save as it appears to be a disincentive. It is rediculous!